how can I make 3d non planar surfaces!!

kakody1

Hello!

I am a new member of the foroum and new at the use of autocad!

I' d like to make a question about a project i have for my school!

I have been given a shape of a wing in 3 dimensions made up with splines and now i have to make it 3d solid with some way (i don' t know how!).

If anyone understood what i mean and can help i would be very pleased!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kakody1

• shift1313

• JD Mather

• fuccaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Kakody1, welcome in the forum!

See if you can get some help from here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7169&highlight=blade

Although AutoCAD 2009 does not work with surfaces you still can use the old tools. Maybe you can use the EDGESURF command?

When a surface is finished you can cut a solid with it.

As you can see in my profile I still use AutoCAD 2006 so maybe you should wait more answers to your question before you start.

I have try out the edgesurf command but due to the fact that all the four syrfaces of the wing are not planar and the "shape" is already given, i can' t get the surface to the shape that is already given!

imagine that the wing is some kind of twisted a few degrees so the planar surfaces are not planar any more!!!

thank you for your time!

I have try out the edgesurf command but

Forget the edgesurf command and any of the old surface commands. See the tutorials in my signature and then post your file here if you get stuck.

Once you have demonstrated the efforts you have already put into the project I'm sure you will get plenty of help.

BTW - I would use a modern 3D program like Inventor for a project like this. Students can download Inventor for free from http://engineersrule.org

By my research on the network i had found the tutorial and made me understand a lot of things.

the only thing that i think it might could help me is the loft command but it gives me the error "First and last cross sections must be planar."

i understood why this must happen but the thind is what i do on non planar surfaces??

I have a close spline on 3d space. how can i give a suface on this?

we need to see what youve done so far to know whats wrong with it.

there were a few post i recall where i drew a wing for someone using surfaces and the loft command.

i found some wingdrawing recalls but the point is that all were planar!

I have not the right to publish a link to this website because am a new member!

can you upload a screen shot of your curves. it is extremely hard to give help on this without seeing something. I dont know if there is a post limit for attaching jpegs.

I made it!!

I' m very happy!!!

you helped me very much. Thank u again!

I used what you told me once again but this time i split the wing at two pieces the top and the bottom.

I used edgesurf to make the two surfaces , then i moved the one on top of the other and finally i used cmd rulesurf to design the surface between the top and thew bottom part of the wing.

For anything i didn' t explain properly pleasy ask me.

Thank you again!

since you have a newer autodesk product i would consider using loft still. When you perform a loft you can create a solid from it. There is a mesh to solid lisp but the results arent the best.

glad you got it drawn. Also keep in mind that loft,sweep and extrude all work with lines as well as closed regions/plines. If you sweep a line, arc, spline etc you will have a surface.

First and last cross sections must be planar.

This is the message it gives me when i try to use loft cmd!!!

If there was a way to use it, it would be very convinient for me too because i have to make out of the sufaces a mold.

So i need the solid!

Afterwords i realised that the subtract cmd does not work with sufaces!

I there is a way to overide that, would be welcome!

To use boolean operations like union, subtract etc you need to have a solid body. There is a lisp routine calles mesh2solid that will convert your mesh surface to a solid by extruding small triangles down from your mesh and using your surface to cut it. The result will probably not be very attractive though.

Can you post a file or screen shot of what you are working with so we can help you set up your loft cross sections.

Afterwords i realised that the subtract cmd does not work with sufaces!

I there is a way to overide that, would be welcome!

Obviously you still haven't done the tutorials in my signature.

and

You still haven't posted a file you can't loft.

here is a wing i drew very quick. I used two cross sections and one guide curve. Then i mirrored the top half. In reality the profile of your bottom wing is difference but just for the picture it was quicker to mirror the whole thing.

This wasnt done in autocad but the procedure is the same. If my cross sections were closed profiles in Acad i would have created a solid.

wing.jpg

In an effort to stamp out forum SPAM only members with 9 posts or more can post website links or email addresses.

so i can' t upload my file or a photo or anything.

If i manage to have 9 posts then i will upload it first thing.

so what do you have to do with the file again? There is all kinds of overlapping geometry. do you just need a solid of the drawing given?