Drawing file is invalid

Enigma

Anyone know of some kind of method of recovering an old .dwg file, that for some reason has become invalid? Recover command does not work. Nevermind, I always seem to type first and then remember about those lovely search functions, sorry!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Enigma

• adeebulrehman

• SLW210

Anyone know of some kind of method of recovering an old .dwg file, that for some reason has become invalid? Recover command does not work. Nevermind, I always seem to type first and then remember about those lovely search functions, sorry!

And are you saying the "recover" command did work?

No, the recover command did not work. I noticed down at the bottom of the page the 'similar threads' section, tried the ideas there, but no luck.

OK, do you go to the Mechanics and say your car doesn't work or do you probably give some indication of what the symptoms of the problem are. Do you get any indications from the Recover command that you can share with us to help find out where it's falling over?

Do you know what version the Drawing was produced with? Here's a clue to finding out the Database version:

1. Open Notepad and change the File extension to all files

2. Find the offending DWG file and open it

3. The first 6 characters will be something like 'AC1021' and the rest will be double dutch... That gives us the AutoCAD Database version (note: this is not the same as the AutoCAD Software version)

Those first 6 characters will help us to determine the version it was last saved in and thus how old it is and what problems we may be facing... Whatever you do though, DON'T save the DWG from in Notepad - then you'll have no chance of ever getting to it again...

When trying to open the drawing, I get the error message 'Drawing File is Invalid'. The Recover command gives the error message 'Unable to recover drawing file'. I saved it as a .txt file, but it looks like early Greek, there is no recognizable text in the first 6 characters. I tried attaching both the .txt file and the .dwg, but they exceed the size limits. The drawing was last saved in 1997, probably in R14 would be my best guess.

Have someone with 2010 try to recover it, post it here if you can. Have someone with Microstation, Intellicad, DoubleCAD try to open it and save.

When you open the notpad,

Go EDIT > FIND

Search for AC, and then post up the resulting find. as stated before it'll be able to tell us what verison it was saved at.

The first result from searching for 'AC' was acH (with the Trademark symbol right after the H) pj9, and then it's all Greek after that.

:? Ok,

I'm at a loss then, the only thing i can think of is it was saved to dwg format

by another program, - microstation/sketchup pro . .

Sorry I can't be of further help. :(

• 2 years later...
Dear Sir,

Plz note that i find AC1021

RGD

AUR

You found AC 1021? I didn't know it was lost. LOL

Are you inquiring about AutoCAD 2012?

Do you have a question?

Sir, I m using AutoCAD 2006

RGD

AUR

that is why you can't open those drawings, code AC2021 is for 2007 format. You will either need to get a newer version of AutoCAD or get them converted. The cheapest option is to get (free) AutoDesks trueview which will give you true convert.

I'm running AutoCAD 2011 so I had no problem opening the first drawing. I did not test the others.

I think all these drawings may have been created with a version of AutoCAD that is newer than the one you are using. Therefore, you have three choices.

1. Have the person who created them save them in 2004 file format and resend them to you.

2. Download DWG Trueview (from the AutoDesk website...it's free) and convert the drawings to a file format you can open.

3. Ask a friend who has a newer version of AutoCAD to open each drawing as do a "saveas" to an earlier file format.

I strongly recommend option number 2.

From now on I'm going to recommend that anyone needing a change of file format send their drawings directly to nestly. As soon as he posts his email address he can hang out his shingle. FREE FILE CONVERSIONS WHILE U WAIT.:lol: