Wall-Lighting

Chekie

I'm using Revit Structure 2009.

I'd like to add some wall lighting.

There are some lighting fixtures which can be added to walls... but my building doesn't have many walls.

Is there any way to add wall lights to columns?

As far as I know there isn't a lighting family called columns lights!

I would have though wall lighting fixtures could be made to any vertical face... but seems not.... can anyone shed any light to this problem, as my columns are pretty dark at the moment... (hehe)

Well looking around I cannot seem to find any column hosted light fixtures either. My suggestion would be to draw a generic 1" thick wall aligned with your column. Place your wall light then hide the wall in view. The light should stay where it is.

That or create a generic light family that is not wall/floor/ceiling hosted.

Hope that helps.

Yeah,

The best way to do what you want is to create a generic light family. This way you can locate it on any surface, including ceilings and floors.

The thing about Revit is, when a family is hosted. ie wall hosted, it is exactly that, hosted to a wall and will not be able to be placed anywhere else. The down side to this is, if that wall gets removed (deleted) then all of your hosted element will also disapear. including any dimensions.

Using the right template to create families is pretty important and requires a bit of foward planning.