What calculation does AutoCad perform to give Areas

grovenstien

Hi there,

Im new to this forum but not new to AutoCad! Now i know full well how to work out the area of an object using the Area tool but i want to find a diffinitive awnswer to the type of calculation or algorythem AutoCad performs to work it out?

Is it similar to the trapazoidal rule or perhaps the Simpson's rule?

If any one has a link or a well reasearched awnswer i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Back in the early 1990's this was posed to a rep of Autodesk at some convention in Northern California. He said they used some form of "Double Meridian Distance" as outlined in some book. I don't know much beyond that, other than he said it was lightening fast due to the computers (then).

Next question....

Wm.

DMD works well when all sides are comprised of straight lines. How does AC compute the area of something without a straight side (picture a protazoa here)?

The DMD method also works with interior and exterior curves of set radaii, and when an elipse is a part of the figure. Been more than ten years on how to calculate, as now it is much easier to "Punch the Button" than to do the calculations. We thought it was speed up world once we got a Monroe calculator on the job. Could get you answers in maybe one hour then.

Wm.

Thanks for your replies.:)

But i am still unclear as to how autocad works it out? I have tried to find info related to DMD on google but it isnt linked to autocad? Has anyone got a good link?

Thanks for your help!:lol: