Thoughts on dual monitor setup

Currahee

I just added another 24" LG monitor to my workstation this week and wonder why I havent done it long before now. It is great to have your drawing on one page while doing research, producing document, or browsing the web...etc, on the other monitor.

Is there anyone else running a dual setup and how do you use it in your applications? Right now I am running it as seperate monitors but I noticed it can be run in split screen, does anyone find this useful?

Tim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• The Buzzard

• Patrick Hughes

• Jack_O'neill

I've used a dual monitor set up for many years and consider the arrangement to be a great time saver. I typically have AutoCAD set to the left monitor and all toolbars and such floating on the right monitor. This way I maximize the drawing area which minimizes the number of pans and zooms.

Also see what your video card's capabilities are. I've got multiple desktops that are easily switched, almost totally eliminates minimizing, maximizing, and arranging windows.

I only wish I had dual 24's, 19's right now.

I've used a dual monitor set up for many years and consider the arrangement to be a great time saver. I typically have AutoCAD set to the left monitor and all toolbars and such floating on the right monitor. This way I maximize the drawing area which minimizes the number of pans and zooms.

Also see what your video card's capabilities are. I've got multiple desktops that are easily switched, almost totally eliminates minimizing, maximizing, and arranging windows.

I only wish I had dual 24's, 19's right now.

This is why I posted this! I would have never thought of having my toolbars on the other monitor. Great Idea!! And I will have to check on the fast switch...that would be cool also. Thanks.

Well if you liked that idea :D heres a screen shot of my set up. I don't know if the later versions of AutoCAD still have the aerial view, but that is what you see on the right monitor along with the text window. With my mouse set to automatically activate the window underneath itself I can very rapidly zoom in and out of my model.

Screen02.jpg

WOW..that is so cool. I can definitly see where this would increase productivity. My only question is how do I run the same application on the seperate monitors? Is it in clone mode or split screen?

My Quadro driver calls the display mode "Horizontal span"

It takes some tweaking but well worth the effort. You caught me just before I was shutting down, have a great night.

It takes some tweaking but well worth the effort. You caught me just before I was shutting down, have a great night.

Oh..man, this is great!! I just figured it out. I didn't have to change a thing. All I have to do is drag the tool bars and windows over. I didn't realize that you could do that within an application. Now I will be up all night reconfiguring my workspace!!

Thanks so much...talk to you tomorrow.

Tim

Oh..man, this is great!! I just figured it out. I didn't have to change a thing. All I have to do is drag the tool bars and windows over. I didn't realize that you could do that within an application. Now I will be up all night reconfiguring my workspace!!

Thanks so much...talk to you tomorrow.

Tim

There are lots of ways to set up dual monitors. You can also stretch the Autocad window into the second screen and tile the drawing windows if you're working on more than one drawing at a time. I get a lot of customer drawings in pdf format, so rather than print them out and have to deal with piles of paper, I have those on one screen and autocad on the other.

The possibilities are endless. Don't be afraid to monkey around with it and find something that works for you.

Yep I got it...this is so cool...

Thanks

bsmall.jpg

I have the right-hand monitor as a clear AutoCAD Drawing (no toolbars at all) the left hand monitor has all my toolbars /pallettes etc, plus on the left monitor I have any other programs I have open, such as e-mail , IE, explorer etc

Where does your mouse exit the screen? Right or left? Can you change this? It always wants to exit on the right of my primary screen and I would like to change that.

My mouse interacts between the two monitors seemlessly. The primary is on the left which is where my Windows "Start" is located. Moving the mouse left to right as it exits the primary monitor on the right side of it's screen it enters the secondary monitor on the left side of it's screen

Now, to give yourself more drawing real estate float your toolbars over to your 2nd monitor.

I have had two 21" monitors for several years now, and I can't imagine working with out them. I keep AutoCAD on one and many tool bars, palettes on the other.

If I am editing a word document I will rotate the one monitor so the document is in portrait mode which makes better use of the screen for docs.

My mouse interacts between the two monitors seemlessly. The primary is on the left which is where my Windows "Start" is located. Moving the mouse left to right as it exits the primary monitor on the right side of it's screen it enters the secondary monitor on the left side of it's screen

Now, to give yourself more drawing real estate float your toolbars over to your 2nd monitor.

I was wondering if you can change it so the mouse exits on the left

Surely if you are working in one monitor and you have to cross to the other to select an icon/toolbar that's going to take miles of mouse panning?

I don't know of anybody that uses that set up, the second monitor is usually used for seperate applications.

To Bdesign if your mouse is exiting out the wrong side then your monitors need to be swapped (unplug and replug in) mouse moves freely one side to the other.

We run a nvida setup and it has all the controls via menu input you pick which screen is primary etc Mousing from one screen to another has never been a problem very fast.

Interesting challenge for screen backgrounds mine over the rainbow another snake eyes.

To Bdesign if your mouse is exiting out the wrong side then your monitors need to be swapped (unplug and replug in) mouse moves freely one side to the other.

We run a nvida setup and it has all the controls via menu input you pick which screen is primary etc Mousing from one screen to another has never been a problem very fast.

Interesting challenge for screen backgrounds mine over the rainbow another snake eyes.

I tried that..didnt work. I even ran setup again and changed primary monitors...didnt work. I even tried just swaping the monitors on the desk, but as soon as I made the monitor in front of me my active, it went right back to the mouse exiting on the right. It really isnt a big deal, its just seems easier to me to that way...but I will get used to it like all things. But thanks anyway.

I only got a dual setup because I did a lot of Microstation work... theres rumours that they want us to go back to one monitor... one person is testing it out, but hopefully we'll be able to stay using 2

I only got a dual setup because I did a lot of Microstation work... theres rumours that they want us to go back to one monitor... one person is testing it out, but hopefully we'll be able to stay using 2

OK..stupid question...what does running Microstation have to do with it and why would they want you to stop using dual when it can increase productivity?