Easy way to draw Isometric from 2D drawing

gururajendrak

hi i am looking for a solution to convert or draw isometric view from a 2D drawing.. attached is the screen shot of it .

Here the 2d drawing of a simple figure i manually drafted into an isometric projection ( normal method )

Does any body has a creative idea to do this in AutoCAD 2007 so that it makes my life better , as i need to do this task more frequently

thanks

guru

acad.jpg

Simply change to a SW iso view, or SE, etc. Something that simple on one plane can be easily shown with a 3D view, predefined in ACAD. Or barring that go to cadalyst.com and d/l isoviews.lsp. Better solution than the one give above, IMO.

Hi Thanks a lot for the support. I tried both the ways

1) referring to the ISOMETRIC.dwg.i was not able to get, when i tried to rotate its still in the same plane.. can you pls explain how do i do that.

2) I have also loaded ISOVIEWS.lsp but when it says successfully loaded but when i type ISOVIEWS in AutoCAD it is not working..

Pls help me...

ISOVIEWS.lsp

isometric.dwg

Sorry.. i figured out how to do the first one now.. thanks a lot and i am really impressed.. thanks once again to the Great mind that has done it.

but can some one tell how did you figure out that by changing the scales using √(1.5), √(0.5) and rotation can make it an isometric view and what is the relation with the above values...

ISOVIEWS.lsp i am still awaiting your help..

Those are the values required to compensate for the foreshortening produced from an Isometric view. The √(3/2) was derived by applying the Pythagorean theorem to the 3d Isometric projections. The decimal value (1.2247) could be retrieved by comparing the Major axis of an IsoCircle to it’s diameter.

I’m not sure why the ISOVIEWS.lsp is not working for you.

ISOVIEWS.lsp requires that you place the file in a folder that is listed in the path statement for AutoCAD, IE: in AutoCAD go to Options> Files> Support File Search Path and either add the folder where the isoviews.lsp is located or move the lsp file into one of the folders shown.

You will find that over time you will collect a lot of lisp files so my suggestion would be to create a folder outside of the AutoCAD folder structure. I use c:\acad\lsp for mine and under that I have sub-folders for different subjects like, text, plines, blocks, layers, etc. The ones I use constantly I keep in the c:\acad\lsp folder and that one is in the path statement. The other sub-folders I either call those to load or autoload from my acaddoc.lsp file or I simply drag and drop them for occassional use.

Hi rkent/seant

i just did the way you said, but unfortunately its not working for me.. is there something i need to change i will just explain you the steps what i did so that you can figure it out.

1. D:\Guru\Very Important Documents and Files\samplelispprograms has been created

2. Copied the ISOVIEWS.lsp file into that location.

3. Tools>Options>Search File Path> add> Brouse the above location and apply.

4. Tools>AutoLISP>Load Application>Brouse ISOVIEWS.lsp ... and it said ISOVIEWS.lsp Loaded successfully

5. now i tried typing ISOVIEWS in the command prompt and i am not getting any thing.. is this how i need to call in a LSP programm or is there a different method ..

pls advice..

Thanks

Guru

Hi rkent/seant

i just did the way you said, but unfortunately its not working for me.. is there something i need to change i will just explain you the steps what i did so that you can figure it out.

1. D:\Guru\Very Important Documents and Files\samplelispprograms has been created

2. Copied the ISOVIEWS.lsp file into that location.

3. Tools>Options>Search File Path> add> Brouse the above location and apply.

4. Tools>AutoLISP>Load Application>Brouse ISOVIEWS.lsp ... and it said ISOVIEWS.lsp Loaded successfully

5. now i tried typing ISOVIEWS in the command prompt and i am not getting any thing.. is this how i need to call in a LSP programm or is there a different method ..

pls advice..

Thanks

Guru

I just downloaded it and opened it in a text editor. The call to start the routine is ISO. I probably changed mine because I already had iso to call something else. I apologize for the confusion. In the future, fyi, open any .lsp file in a text editor and look near the top for a line that will look something like

(defun c:ISO (\ )

The characters after the c: are what starts the routine after it has been loaded into autocad. The C: is defining the following as a command name and is not to be confused with the C: drive.

Again, sorry for the frustration I have caused.

Hi Rkent,

I am sorry , i tried both ISO and ISOVIEWS but its not working .. pls check and update me..

OK, try dragging the isoviews.lsp file from the file explorer onto an open session of autocad. Now try ISO. Also I can't remember if 2007 had the "autocomplete" feature, but try this, type IS at the command line and hit the tab key a few times. At the command line you should see commands one at a time on the command line, if 2007 supports this, it has been a while since 07. If it does then either ISO or ISOVIEWS, etc will show, when it does hit enter.

Hope that gets you going.

BTW, when you say it isn't working what does that mean? Does autocad report back unknown command, does the command line just go back to a blank line, etc.?

Hi rkent,

i just did what you said.. after i type IS and press tab for a while i am able to see ISOVIEWS but when i press enter, the command prompt goes blank.. that is want i meant "not working"...

i really thank your efforts.. pls let me know if i you need any more inputs from me to resolve this.. :thumbsup:

gururajendrak,

I am not sure why this won't work for you, it is written in autolisp and works on the various machines I have added it to.

With that said lets try a few more things. I noticed you set up a file on your D drive for the lisp files. Instead try creating a folder at c:\acad and place the isoviews.lsp in there. Add the new folder to your support files path in autocad as you did before for the D: path. Maybe remove the D: path one for now.

Open the isoviews.lsp file and take a look at the line that says something like "defun C:ISOV (/ ). Remember what is after the C: because that is the command to call the routine in autocad after the lisp file has been loaded. In the example above it would be ISOV.

Drag and drop the file as before. Type in ISOV (or what ever you found in the file) and a dialog box should appear on screen.

I am attaching a copy of isoviews.lsp, maybe try using it, although it came from cadalyst.com which is the source you used for yours.

Let me know.

Iso_Views.lsp

• 1 year later...

:)2D Profile Instructions

To convert 2D profile to an ISO axis there are two options:

a) An iso_view.lsp is available; it is located in the I:\CAD\LSP directory. All blocks have to be exploded when using iso_view.lsp.

b) 2D Profile instructions listed below.

• Construct the 2D profile. If the profile is not drawn in the required orientation, rotate the profile. Note: if there are a number of parts in the same orientations, draw them on separate layers, then you can lock individual layers and work one part at a time.
  • Before making a “B” block of the profile, determine the orientation of the profile in relation to the ISO axis (I.E. top, right or left ISO). For the top ISO view rotate the profile 45 degrees, for the left ISO rotate the profile –45 degrees, for the right ISO view rotate the profile –135 degrees.
  • Make a “B” block of the profile.

Figure 1

• To create a block, type “B” at the command prompt or click on the “B” block icon. With the dialog box open verify that “retain” is checked off (See Figure 1) before you click “OK”.

Figure 2

• When inserting a 2d profile, verify that all of the “Specify On screen blocks” are checked off (See Figure 2).
  • Insert the block into your current drawing. At the command prompt, change the “x” scale to .5774, the “y” scale will be 1, and the angular rotation will be 30 degrees.
  • If you are working in the left ISO the item will be in the correct orientation, if not rotate the item either 120 degrees for a right ISO view or –120 for A top ISO view

Scale the profile to suit the current scale of the drawing. Whether you are scaling from a drawing or you constructed the profile from a detail drawing the scale factor of 1.224 brings the profile back to scale.

• 8 years later...
Pls type out in your command "secureload" set to "zero".

Please note that the post you are replying to is nine years old. I doubt gururajendrak would have waited this long to solve his problem.