New PC specs

MisterJingles

I am looking to buy a new PC which will be used primarily to run AutoCad 2007 LT for now but 2009 in the nearish future.

Could anyone tell me the minimum system requirements I should be looking at as per graphics, processor etc?

Is there any other info you would need to know which would affect your suggestions?

AutoDesk posts the minimum requirements for all of its products at its website. Start with those but always plan for the future. Try to exceed the specs where your budget will allow (memory and graphics cards are two prime areas). What OS are you planning to use?

Start here at CT first with this:

http://www.cadtutor.net/faq/questions/16/What+computer+specification+do+I+need+to+run+AutoCAD%3F

I see they suggest XP for 2009 so I would probably just keep it at that as Im using it now.

Luckily budget is not TOO much of a problem right now as my employer is funding this new machine.

XP Pro would be my first choice. I do not plan on moving to Vista. However I am considering Windows 7 when it is released. Even the company I work for refuses to load Vista on any new computers purchased. When queried why they respond "We don't need the headaches."

Hmmm, that couldve gotten me into ome trouble :)

XP it will remain then. I will take the specs mentioned and step it up further.

How important is the graphics card and what does anyone suggest?

I think the selection of a graphics card can be very important when it comes to CAD work just as it is in gaming. Yes, there are "all purpose" cards but they're for the average computer user. Your best bet is to follow AutoDesk's recommendations regarding graphics cards. Personally, I am a big fan of nVidia cards. The Quadro series has cards in all price ranges from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. ATI graphic cards are making a strong come back after having been in a slump for awhile.

Ok. Im not much of a PC gamer at all so its gaming capabilities mean nothing to me.

Ill follow up Autodesk and see what the info says there.

Thanks man

I was making a comparison between gamers and CAD users because both make heavy demands upon their systems. There are graphics cards specifically designed for both groups.

Oh I see, sorry.

Autodesk reckons for 2D drawing extra Graphics hardware is unnecessary. Im thinking of giving the G card a miss as I will only be drawing in 2D for some time to come. I can always put one in at a later stage, no?

Sorry if Ive led you to believe I would be using 3D.