3D AutoCAD Render Tip: Quick settings with great results

tzframpton

For use of AutoCAD 2008 and up.

I thought I might as well add a little tip to the forum. Its been awhile and through the little knowledge I actually do have in rendering, I'd like to share what I feel is a great tip for making a render look good by changing a few simple settings.

1st, when you have your scene set up, type RPREF at the Command Line to bring up the Advanced Render Settings. Set the preset to Presentation. Look at the first image to see a render at these default settings:

3489257471_aeb704327b_o.jpg

3490051326_8e352f74e8_o.jpg

It looks good, but we can definitely do better. Now simply set the Final Gather setting to On. See the image for the better results:

3490072574_11c001aa7f_o.jpg

3489236835_0508855384_o.jpg

To really add a more realistic feel to your render, then don't forget Indirect Illumination lighting techniques by using the Global Illumination setting. (click the lightbulb to activate this parameter) This allows light to really bounce off objects in a realistic way to create a nice image. See image for the results:

3490072600_8fa688d06c_o.jpg

3489236859_c77e636fd0_o.jpg

These are some very important quick settings that I like to use. I wanted to simply show the differences in improvements in these very easy change of parameters in the Advance Render Settings dialog box. Hope this helps some of you out. :)

Edited by tzframpton

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iskalipsi

• tzframpton

• ReMark

• reccakeys

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this. I want to start trying to understand the render settings as they're a world away from my drafting skills.

I like the pics; Turner prize material IMHO... you could be £50k up soon!

Did anyone see the 'installation' in the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern; can't remember the artist's name but she was famous for injecting stuff with plastic then cutting the plastic out so she had a "sculpture" of the inside of really exciting stuff like, for e.g. a radiator...

She FILLED the Turbine Hall (which is massive) with thousands of... (wait for it)... plastic moulds of the inside of ... (wait for it)... archive boxes.... it was amazing, it was almost as if it was a real warehouse full of archive boxes... hmmmm...:?

I really do reckon we should enter something - what do you reckon lads? We could all draw one solid primitive then email off the dwg for 3D printing, assemble the lot into a big room and enter it as art? CADTUTOR's contribution to global culture? :)

• 1 month later...
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU @ 2.40GHz

Memory : 1024 MB RAM

Display : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

45 Minutes sounds about right for that hardware setup. Your Processor isn't bad, but 1GB a RAM just isn't going to cut it. Nor is that gaming card.

Quad Core processor, with 8GB of RAM or more, and a workstation level graphics card will be your best bet. Cad64 does know quite a bit about 3D rendering and I would think he would agree.

45 Minutes sounds about right for that hardware setup. Your Processor isn't bad, but 1GB a RAM just isn't going to cut it. Nor is that gaming card.

Quad Core processor, with 8GB of RAM or more, and a workstation level graphics card will be your best bet. Cad64 does know quite a bit about 3D rendering and I would think he would agree.

id really wish have to a pc with that kind of specs. But for now i'll just have to settle for whats served. im saving for that though. :D

id really wish have to a pc with that kind of specs. But for now i'll just have to settle for whats served. im saving for that though. :D

Well, rendering still takes time with a stout workstation. Best thing to do is pick up a few older, cheap (even free) computers and keep those on a network for rendering purposes only. :)

Well, rendering still takes time with a stout workstation. Best thing to do is pick up a few older, cheap (even free) computers and keep those on a network for rendering purposes only. :)

ok. Thanks for the advice sir. :)

• 2 months later...

ok so i get a good result with this cheers..... one thing why wont it let me save my render? what am i doing wrong?

Render output file is active and i have browsed for file where to save it but nothing happens :?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Guys!! Nice Tutorial. I like it. Very detailed. I am newbie at autocad. I am here to learn from it. I think i found the right thread. Can you teach me the basic guys?

Hope it is ok with you.

Hi there,

I never tried 2D and 3D. That is why I am so thankful for being here. I am 100% empty, but I am willing to learn. When making 2D and 3D is there a software use to that? if there is, can you tell me?

Thanks in advance

There are so many software where you can make 2D and 3D drawings. What i use is Autodesk's Autocad 2009. You could start getting some books for your reference.Are still a student? What field are you interested/ studying?

Thanks bro.. I am still a student. I really wanted to learn autocad bro. But The problem is that I don't have the software yet. I don't know where to get the software. I like all the post in this forum. All of them really amaze me. I am trying to understand there posts but still I don't get it. Can you teach me the basic bro? well, i know that I don't have the software yet. But i still want to learn. Is it possible that I can still learn without software bro?

TCan you teach me the basic bro? well, i know that I don't have the software yet. But i still want to learn. Is it possible that I can still learn without software bro?
Its like learning to ride a bike without riding one.You see these programs are very broad and takes a long time to master.We are all learning here.Get a copy of a reference, and try to also get a trial version of the software you want to learn.