AutoCAD to Microstation.

skipsophrenic

Hi all,

I have been asked to find out if there's a way to convert AutoCAD

drawings into microstation and have the drawings still fully editable.

At the moment when we try, the line work's not a problem, but

dimensions/attributes/fields won't convert properly.

They're selectable but not editable.

What process are you using to convert them?

If you use the command dgnexport autocad will convert the drawing to a v8 dgn file. Also it seems to be unknown to some microstation users but I have been told that microstation can open DWG files.

The best way in my experience is to saveAs from within Microstation: open the drawing in dwg mode and save as a V8 DGN.

When exporting from AutoCAD there are many errors where there are only nuances between each packages definition of entities, dimensions etc. When saving from within Microstation they don't seem to be prevalent.

That's the problem, when we do a saveas in microstation, some of the things on the

drawing get locked and uneditable, which means when we send the drawing out to the

people who will be using it after us (Who use microstation) they wwill have problems

with the drawing.

We've tried both dgnexport, and opening the dwg in microstation and saving as a dgn,

no joy - wish people would stick to Autocad it would make my lfe easier!

OK, let's look at Autodesk's take on this situation - "Who cares". It has only taken Autodesk since 1982 to actually admit there is another CAD package out there that they may actually need to transfer to/from. Up until now the attitude has been that everyone else needs to be compatible with AutoCAD.

OK, I've had my say and I know this doesn't help with sorting out the situation, but maybe someone from Autodesk will see this and feel guilty...

Which objects/elements are locked? Have you tried using the unlock tool? The option is in the EDIT dropdown, but I'm guessing there will be a global key-in.

Have a peruse of the DWG Workmode literature and see if you can find any pertinent information. Also I use the Bentley Community forums when in need of Microstation assistance.

Not sure about unlock tool, i'll check that out when get back from my holidays :)