3D model to 2D diagram

Harris

I make a thin living lining empty vessels with plastic sheeting. I currently cut and measure and laboriously cut sheets out by hand.

I am wondernig whether I can mount a camera above each vessel attach a grid generator and take a pic. (Is grid generator the correct term?)

After that, could I manipulate the 3D data to 2D so I can make a schematic diagram to use as a diagram to cut from?

Any ideas/comments will be very welcome. Please remember I am a complete novice! Many thanks. :cry:

Can you post an example file so that I can be sure what you are talking about? It sounds like Inventor Flat Pattern tool might be useful to your work.

how large are these tanks? are they cylindrical or do they have some odd features? If they are just cylindrical tanks it would seem that a little math would be the best answer.

As far as taking a picture, not so sure. I have seen a few laser modeling tools that you place in an environment and it spits out a point cloud with a 360degree view but they arent cheap, the software to manipulate a point cloud isnt cheap. Solidworks and Unigraphics will work with point clouds. a picture or idea of these tanks would certainly help us out.