How Do I Draw Walls?

strikerboi7

im trying to make a basic layout of a house and i have no idea how to draw walls. can anyone please give me a basic tutorial on how make a basic layout?

walls really are just two lines; one outer line and one inner. I'd suggest you use PLINE to draw one of them and then use OFFSET with the thickness of the wall as offset distance.

I would suggest that you also toggle ORTHO on and to use OSNAPS for accuracy when it comes to picking endpoints, midpoints, etc.

I use the 3D walls that are included in the AutoCAD Tool Pallets, this will OFFSET the wall thickness for you.

This saves me a lot if time!:D

2010 has a newbie called POLYSOLID. Really it is just a fancy front end to the Sweep command, but it says "Ceates a 3D wall-like Polysolid". It allows you to set the Wall thickness, Height and Justification (Right, Left or Centre) so it's nice in that way... Also, like a Polyline it can incorporate Arcs, so some niceties...

But (and there always seems to be one of these), one problem is that you can't snap to any endpoints until you've completed the command. As such, there's no finding a relationship to another point on the wall. You can close it then edit the results if it doesn't line up, but it seems the best solution is to use the Object option and apply it to an existing Polyline...

I see it working if you're doing 3d work, but 2D... stick with Tiger's PLINE option (Multilines are a real pain in the you know where!!!)