The Buzzard

You are very welcome Lee,

I know you will put them to good use.

I am always glad to offer something.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow! Looks like Dr. June-Hao Hou put some real effort into this, and it still looks quite useful. Now, if I could just master all of his references…

I thought about making a dictionary of common VL commands so when your trying to remember go to the dictionary and look it up the charts are good but it takes ages some times to find stuff like "insertionpoint" usefull with blocks also some of the "aclinetype" type decriptions a more grass roots help. With the dropping of the VL help its frustrating at times find a syntax your looking for dumping entities helps sometimes.

a start

Common entity 
(setq pickobj1 (entsel "\nPick 1st line :"))
(setq obj2 (vlax-ename->vla-object (car pickobj1)))
; get obj type
(vla-get-color obj2) ; returns object color
(vla-get-layer obj2 ) ; returns object layer
(vla-get-linetype obj2 ) ; returns object linetype

Some block stuff
(setq pickobj1 (entsel "\nPick block"))
(setq obj2 (vlax-ename->vla-object (car pickobj1)))
; block name
(vla-get-name obj2)
; block tags
(foreach att (vlax-invoke (vlax-ename->vla-object (ssname ss1 0)) 'getattributes) ; the block nth of selection set ss1 has attributes 
(vla-get-tagstring att) ; requires a loop to go through attributes returns attribute tag name like above
(vla-get-textstring att) ; requires a loop to go through attributes returns attribute value like above
; puts rather than get are opposite to get

(vla-put-textstring att val) ; replaces selected attribute value with val 

Vla-import- ; Lee help

With the dropping of the VL help...

The ActiveX Documentation is still available (even in 2013) in the acadauto.chm help file; the remaining VL functions (vl-*/vlax-*/vlr-*) are still present in the standard AutoLISP Developer Documentation, accessible from the VLIDE.

The ActiveX Documentation is still available (even in 2013) in the acadauto.chm help file; the remaining VL functions (vl-*/vlax-*/vlr-*) are still present in the standard AutoLISP Developer Documentation, accessible from the VLIDE.

Thanks for the info, Lee. I prefer to use offline help, but it looks to me like the PDF version of AutoLISP Reference Guide includes the vl-* subroutines, but not the vlax-* or vlr-*; neither has the vla-*. I did find the acadauto.chm file under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared. I had to resort to using Search as its location was not at all intuitive for me. Is there an access point to this file within AutoCAD?

Thanks for the info, Lee.

You're very welcome.

I prefer to use offline help, but it looks to me like the PDF version of AutoLISP Reference Guide includes the vl-* subroutines, but not the vlax-* or vlr-*

I'm not sure about the PDF Reference, but certainly if you download the offline help files (or access the online files [same files, just hosted on a server]), the AutoLISP Developer Documentation contains both the vlax-* functions & Reactor vlr-* functions.

neither has the vla-*.

There was never any AutoLISP documentation for the ActiveX vla-* functions, only the VBA reference contained in the acadauto.chm help file, however, the parameters, their data types & order all directly translate to Visual LISP. This ActiveX Reference is also available online here.

I did find the acadauto.chm file under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared. I had to resort to using Search as its location was not at all intuitive for me. Is there an access point to this file within AutoCAD?

It should be accessible via the VLIDE Help button when a function is highlighted in the Editor, as described here.

• 3 months later...