How do I update an open assembly file after making changes to the part?

cvriv.charles

If I make changes to an .ipt file which is a part of an assembly file I have open,... how do I update that assembly file? I know you can make changes to a .ipt file right through the assembly file but is that the best way to make the changes? I kind of like working on the files seperately:\

i dont have 09 in front of me but on other versions there is an update button next to my sketch button(looks like a bunch of little boxes with a lightning bolt in front of it). If you have saved your part file and it is the same file that is referenced in your assembly this update button will show any changes. Also as a note if you change somthing(like chamfer or fillet and edge) that was referenced for a constraint or dimensions you will create an error and need to modify things.

i dont have 09 in front of me but on other versions there is an update button next to my sketch button(looks like a bunch of little boxes with a lightning bolt in front of it). If you have saved your part file and it is the same file that is referenced in your assembly this update button will show any changes. Also as a note if you change somthing(like chamfer or fillet and edge) that was referenced for a constraint or dimensions you will create an error and need to modify things.

Yeah I saw that update button but I swear it wasn't clickable. It is dimmed out. I'll have to try it again and see for sure. Play around with it.

it stays dim if there is nothing to update. Try opening your assembly file and your part file. edit the part file, save it, then move over to your assembly file and it should be selectable.

here are 3 screen shots. the first shows the dim button after just opening both files, the second shows the assembly after the part file has been modified and saved, the third shows the file after update has been clicked. its again dim and not selectable because there are no updates.

hcssample.jpg

hcssample2.jpg

hcssample3.jpg

Ok. I found the problem. Most of the time I am running two instances of inventor. One on each of the two monitors I have. If I edit the ipt in one instance the other basically doesnt know whats going on.

Anyway around that? Thanks Shift.

why do you need two instances open? You can have multiple part windows open at the same time. I cant remember if it was inventor or SW but one has an option to stretch out over dual monitors. If you are working with an assembly you can select your part, edit it and change the transparency of the other components.

ivscreen.jpg

ivscreen2.jpg

My strong recommendation is to not work with multiple instances open. As Matt said you can have more than one part open at a time in a single session. The reason is exactly what you have already seen, when one "user" (or in this case one instance of Inventor) edits a part, the cached information wont update in the other session. Essentially one instance becomes "out of date". This is what vault and semi-isolated projects are meant to control.

Well,... INV will stretch across across 2 monitors but I cant maximize it. Well,... my files stay updated but it's up to me to do it. I mean INV knows when something is wrong but it only tells me when I open a file. I'll deal with it I guess. Thanks guys.

Hey and there is no way to pattern a part in an assembly file?!?!? Thats sucks. I had to create multiple contraints for a part that is evenly spaced out over another part. Just a surface mate too. Not like I was inserting anything.

Hey and there is no way to pattern a part in an assembly file?!?!?

Of course there is. I can think of about 5 ways off-hand, and you don't need to recreate constraints. A bit of training would go a long way.

Here is a pic of a curve driven component pattern.

Chain.jpg

Of course there is. I can think of about 5 ways off-hand, and you don't need to recreate constraints. A bit of training would go a long way.

Here is a pic of a curve driven component pattern.

Damn! I swear I read somewhere that patterns couldnt be done in assembly files. I wish I could remember where I read it.

Gotcha! I was trying to pattern with the rec pat tool instead of the component pat tool. Worked great! Thanks jd.