How Do I Trace An Image?

Meglesniak323

Hi, I am having troubles..

I brought a floorplan from Photoshop into AutoCAD by using the Command IMAGEATTACH. Now that I have the images I am not sure how to trace it.

Basically, I did this because I couldnt figure out the scale to the floorplan in order to draw it from scratch... so here I am! And I am confused! I have traced the outline of the plan, but I want to trace smaller details as well.

PLEASE help me! :wacko:

First you'll need to scale the floorplan.

Scaling will scale all up (or down) to your desired dimensions.

Scale the entire image, all details will scale.

How do I scale? I know that sounds dumb :unsure: but the hard copy of the floorplan is not scaled or to scale.

How do I scale? I know that sounds dumb :unsure: but the hard copy of the floorplan is not scaled or to scale.

just find a wall or something that is marked with a size and scale (by reference) the length to it.

just find a wall or something that is marked with a size and scale (by reference) the length to it.

A known dimension, scale to that, and there you go.

Scale the entire drawing.

I usually add a dimension; i.e.: 96 inches if the drawing imported shows 72", scale x 1.33, that'll do it, will scale up to 96".

Ain't that nice!

Not sure if you can do this in Photo Shop, But if you can save the image to a .wmf file, You can insert it similar to a block by tying WMFIN at the command prompt. Again I am not sure if Photo Shop saves to that type of file, But check it out and see.

Not sure if you can do this in Photo Shop, But if you can save the image to a .wmf file, You can insert it similar to a block by tying WMFIN at the command prompt. Again I am not sure if Photo Shop saves to that type of file, But check it out and see.

imageready (i'm pretty sure that's the name, might be image styler) will allow you to save an image as a dxf, i used it to make our titleblock logo.

Are there any dimensions noted on the floor plan?

Are there any areas noted on, or known about, the floor plan?

If, in either case, the answer is yes you can zoom to extents and scale the known distance or area as mentioned by Tankman.

If the floor plan lists an area, it is most likely the outside surface of the exterior wall.

• Draw a PLINE around the plan,
  • close the PLINE,
  • Determine the area using LIST or AREA, OBJECT

then determine the ratio that you are going to have to scale the object by ...

Lets say it is supposed to be 2400 SF and the PLINE indicates that it is 900 SF. Divide 2400 by 900 and you will get the ratio that you have to use ... in this case 2.6666666666

then

• Zoom extents,
  • SCALE the entire drawing by
    • selecting ALL or,
    • grabbing image and all using a fence

[*]then enter the multiplier of 2.666666666 as the scale.

The exact same thing can be done using a known dimension ... except you use the DIST command to verify the width between two lines. Be sure that you use the X or Y distance and not the angular distance between the two points you choose ... assuming the points were not parallel.

Now the real fun begins ... getting rid of the garbage in the dimensioning ...

Using the OFFSET command, make the width of the surface of the exterior face of the exterior wall and and the interior face of the exterior wall match the convention of your local area for the materials indicated ...

once that is correct, you can then begin the process of using OFFSET to make the enterior wall layout match the scanned image ... (don't forget to use the correct width for the interior walls as well) ... and on and on and on ... until you get all the way across the plan to the opposite exterior wall) ... then you can do the same in tohe other direction ... be sure to keep things nice and square, regardless of what happened when the scanner whacked the scan ... speaking of whacked scans ...

IF the original drawing was not imported into AutoCAD square with the world, I would rotate the entire mess after you scale it and before you go through the pain of drawing the interior layout.

No ... I have never done this ... yea right ... all too many clients seem to have a favorite floor plan that they only have a "few changes" that they want made ... LOL ... that change most everything about the house except the lot it is going on!

Thank you. Everyone has been so helpful!... :) Especially Teeds, your explanation was extremely thorough and direct- thank you thank you! It is now a work in progress, I feel confident if I follow your instructions so wish me luck! Once again, I appreciate all the help.

Im sure Ill be back asking more questions in no time...