How do I work from AutoCAD 2010 to AutoCAD 2009 edition??

Meglesniak323

I am unsure if the title can really explain my concern. I first used CAD in 2008, and my school has recently (only) updated to AutoCAD 2009. However, the autodesk website lets students download the 2010 edition for free (if you have a student email). Anyway, I do not know how to bring my work from my AutoCAD 2010 to my school's AutoCAD 2009! Is it impossible?? I am trying to avoid spending money on the 2009 edition. Maybe this is an issue I would have to take up with autodesk... But if anyone has any clue pleaaassee share it with me!!

:unsure:

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Buzzard

• AlinOz

• Meglesniak323

• Cad64

I believe that 2009 and 2010 are compatible, so you should be able to just save your 2010 file and it should open in 2009. If not, do as The Buzzard suggested and "Save As".

I believe your correct on that Cad64, But either way as you say it can be done.

Thanks for making that clear.

Here is another way with Options, So you do not have to worry about this every time you save a drawing. After it is set here it will aways save to an earlier version of your choice if you just click to Save.

I think it is best to save to earlier versions so the drawings can be shared with others if you choose.

Options.JPG

Thank you. Hopefully that works. I have tried saving it as a different file but it didnt transfer at my school computer. I will give it another try tomorrow! I appreciate the help

Just make sure you are saving to a dwg file of an earlier version. Please remember when you are working with other companies outside your company when you finish with your schooling that others may be using earlier versions of AutoCAD as well and in order for them to view your drawings, This is always a safe bet.

Okay that is a good point. Ill have to try it tomorrow with my school computers. I assumed it would have to be compatible since not everyone is using the 2010 version. Thanks again.

Here is another way with Options, So you do not have to worry about this every time you save a drawing. After it is set here it will aways save to an earlier version of your choice if you just click to Save.

I think it is best to save to earlier versions so the drawings can be shared with others if you choose.

This may have been true in earlier versions but always saving back to 2007, wouldn't you loose all the 2010 dimensional and geometrical constraint information within the file.

I think you would have to save 2 files. One in 2010 and the other in 2007.

This in only a logical assumption since I don't use 2010 yet.

KC

While it is good to always upgrade your version of CAD, Folks who use earlier versions may be required to use an Object Enabler available from AutoDesk to help them view drawing created from newer version especially using third party software. Eventually most people upgrade. For those who do not, Its these object enablers and sometimes service packs to correct these ills.

Oh, and one other thing that's EXTREMELY important to remember - DO NOT expect to do work on the drawings from work on an Educational Version and take them back into the office. It will 'taint' the drawing with the Educational Stamp (even when using the Commercial Version).

Use it for 'play' purposes only...

As for the other points raised throughout this thread:

1. Is 2010 readable in 2009 (or earlier) - No, not natively - 2010 is a new DB format. Files will need to be saved as a 2007 format or you can use the DWG TrueConvert from Autodesk (http://www.autodesk.com/dwgtrueconvert) to convert to an earlier version that is usable.

2. Can Information get lost in the Conversion process? Yes and No. As you will appreciate, if the Software cannot understand a function in a previous version (i.e. parametrics in a block), it cannot do anything with it, so they just disappear. Incredibly though, Autodesk has performed some real magic and somehow they retain that information within the old DWG format. So, what this means is that if you take a 2010 drawing with Parametrics in it (as an example), write it back to 2007 format and work on it in an earlier version and then open it in 2010, all the parametrics are still there!!! Believe it or not... Now that's what I call magic - I don't know of any other software that has that much built in intelligence...

Autodesk has performed some real magic and somehow they retain that information within the old DWG format. So, what this means is that if you take a 2010 drawing with Parametrics in it (as an example), write it back to 2007 format and work on it in an earlier version and then open it in 2010, all the parametrics are still there!!!

That makes sense. When you save back, 2010 must mask some information in the file so it is ignored in previous versions.

If you can AlinOz, post a 2010 file that has been saved back to 2007. Add some constraint information so us poor saps that still use 2008 or lower can see how the file opens.

KC

Preempting your response, here are the results in 2009. Opens fine, recognized as a Block, but you can't use the Block Editor on it because it's one of those horrible Unnamed Blocks (in this case *U1) that you can't deal with other than to explode it (but you wouldn't do that to me, now would you?).

Open it in 2010 and it's all back to working fine (even with other edits to the drawing) provided of course you didn't explode it... So, basically, it's just a bit of tough luck if you want to change the 2010 specific objects because they just won't work without exploding these Blocks.

Well, at least you all know what to watch out for now... Ever get the feeling that I don't like people who explode :roll:

2010 Dynamics 3.jpg

Is this why new versions of AutoCAD become prime for an early service pack? I do not have 2010 , I am using 2009 and have 2004 on a back burner in case I need to save back to a much earlier version for who refuse to upgrade. Now 2009 has many quirks, But the last service pack fixed some of the issues. I am not a fan of 2009 since it runs on the slugish side, But it is what I have to use for now. I guess I should have waited for some of the issues to pass before the

upgrade But its too late now. For what your sayin about 2010 would it stand to chance that these issues will be fixed in the same manner or is there a reason not being mentioned for all these problems.

Well, as for 2010, it's very surprising, but it appears to be extremely stable right out of the box. Like yourself, I found 2009 to be quite unstable, but it did improve after the service pack. That being said, I did find a Bug that Autodesk could replicate and 2010 has fixed that one.

As for your comment regarding using 2004 to be able to backdate a DWG, I don't understand. From recollection, 2004 could write back to either 2000 or R14 DWG - 2009 and 2010 can go right back to R14 DWG or even (the best ever) R12 DXF. That should cover any possible scenario you'll ever come across.

As for speed of 2010 vs 2009, you will find them to be comparable - in some places 2010 seems to run faster, but there isn't any real evidence of that - it's just anecdotal. The one thing we all notice though is when software runs slower and 2010 doesn't seem to be afflicted with any problems there.

I look at it this way, with a new version out every 12 months, the majority of the improvements are the actually bug fixes and/or refining of the new commands that were introduced in the previous version. They then throw in a few other new commands to entice you to upgrade and then finish them off in the next version. It's just a vicious circle, but until it's put out on the market, it hasn't had the chance for the millions of users to say "That's nice, but I'd like it to..."

I took a closer look at the File Save As in 2009 and you are right, You can save back that far. Anyway I use 2004 most of the time because it performs well for me. But your are so right about that vicious circle. You need to know when to jump into it. I will not be upgrading for a while.

Yes, well, that's always the other side of the vicious circle - are there sufficient features/ benefits to warrant the upgrade and then there's the consideration that we may potentially need to upgrade our machine as well. That's something that each and every one of us needs to decide for ourselves.

One thing I have noticed though is that provided you get yourself a 'true' workstation quality machine (I've become a HP lover of late), a new release of AutoCAD doesn't seem to have a huge impact. I purchased a WS quality Notebook computer 4 years ago and it still runs the latest AutoCAD versions quite admirably. OK, so now I've got a new HP Desktop Workstation and it's pretty flash, but this was done as my need for mobility was reduced otherwise I'd still be using the 4 year old Notebook and wouldn't be at all dissappointed with its performance.

Generally, if you find it's chugging along, you can chuck a bit more RAM into your beast and you'll pick up its performance (provided of course you stay within the OS limits). If you want the new features of a particular AutoCAD and your existing Computer struggles with it a bit of RAM is a very cost effective solution...

*In response to that, what is the difference of the AutoCAD 2007 Drawing (dwg) and the AutoCAD 2007/LT AutoCAD 2007 (dwg)? Are they both the same? Because that is my only option on my home computer.