I want to learn Lisp.

stevsmith

I would like to learn how to understand and write in .lisp

I have scoured the internet looking for some tutorials, Afrolisp seems good but alot of the pages are screwed up. I have also had a look at the Jeffery sanders website.

Ideally I hate trying to learn from a screen, are there any pdf files available for me to print off and read from paper.

I find I can absorb the information alot easier.

Thanks,

Stevie.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevsmith

• Lee Mac

• The Buzzard

• Dave^

Thanks buzzard.

At least it will give me a start.

Ya dancer Newcastle have just scored. Yassss.

(Sorry I'm watching the football whilst on my laptop, lol)

I would still recommend you get what you can learn from Afralisp. An excellent learning source broken down into simplest terms. You would learn alot there I am sure. So do not rule it out.

Yeah, I have been on the site before and it was really good, it seemed to be easily broken down for me to understand, but I went onto it over the past couple of days and alot of the text seems to be scrambled. I dont know if it is my browser. I use firefox, and safari and they were both displayed the same results.

Hi Steve,

I wondered when you would be "converted"... :P

As for learning LISP, once you get started learning it, you will find that it becomes easier and easier to pick up. Take me for example, I only started with it 9 months or so ago...

I would learn the basics from the tutorial sites and the notes that Buzzard has provided. Also, I am hoping to get quite a bit of detailed LISP information into our FAQ here - which should be added soon hopefully.

I have a few references and websites that I would recommend you check out, but they are too large to post here (attachment is too big) - would it be possible to email them to you? (just PM the address if you like).

But, also, as always - I would think 100% the best way to learn is to take notice of other people's code. I can provide you with some simple code snippets to study if you wish - as the majority of code posted on here is a bit more in-depth VL standard.

As for learning Visual LISP above Vanilla LISP, I would start with the basic Vanilla LISP and get to know the functions that are available to you and how to use them efficiently... then, when you become confident in handling the data, move onto Visual LISP, which has quite a few more functions, but also a slightly different (and somewhat obscure) way of manipulating data.

If you do need any help, clarification or have any questions about any code you see, do not hesitate to email/PM me or post a thread in the forums :)

Hope this helps :)

Lee

Yeah, I have been on the site before and it was really good, it seemed to be easily broken down for me to understand, but I went onto it over the past couple of days and alot of the text seems to be scrambled. I dont know if it is my browser. I use firefox, and safari and they were both displayed the same results.

I also use Firefox -

I always need to go to

"Tools" > "options" > "content" (tab) > "Colours" > then uncheck the box that says: "Allow pages to choose their own colours.."

FWIW, Afralisp.net does not work well for me when using Firefox either.

Fire up IE *cringe* to use the site and all will be well. :(

*cringe*.... IE...soooo sloooow...

Hi Steve,

I wondered when you would be "converted"... :P

Lee

lol. all i need now is my bike Lee. and a ticket to the nw200 and we are sorted.

I just want to say thanks for all the usefull info that I'm sure you will be throwing my way soon enough.

I'll send you my pm.

Cringe indeed my good man....

I change the coluors and its killed cadtutor. Its all white now, lol

Yeah, someone really needs to sort out the html-ing on AfraLISP...

You do a good Elmer Fudd. "Everything will be all white now, Huh Huh Huh "

lol.:D

i try my best mate, lol

Try the firefox IE pugin, it should solve your problem with the Afralips site

I havent written 9 messages so I have to breakdown the address

https:

//addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Try the firefox IE pugin, it should solve your problem with the Afralips site

I havent written 9 messages so I have to breakdown the address

https:

//addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Didn't know about that Steve ^^ nice one :)