Floor plan layout problem

MisterJingles

I do not know how to explain this issue I have but am going to try.

I have a floor plan layout of an admin building, I was sent another "version" of this floor plan with some changes made (cubicle positions changed, electricity supply points moved etc). I need to input these changes to the original drawing while still retaining certain information from the original drawing.

I have a problem in that both drawings are set to different scales it seems because if I copy and paste either into the others Model Space, one is far larger than the other.

How can I make them both the same size?

I need to merge these 2 drawings together so that I can make the necessary changes to the original drawing.

Regards

There are a few things that can be culprit here.

First, use the command DIST to take a measurement in both drawings, a door opening or something to check that they really are the same scale (so that it haven't been re-scaled to meters or something)

If they are the same, then check Units set on both drawings - go Format > Units and check that under Length is the correct type set, and that Insertion scale is correct - if in doubt, set it to Unitless.

If this does not help, check the two variables INSUNITDEFTARGET and INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and make sure they're set to 0.

That's all I can remember right now that can affect it..come back if it doesn't work :)

Thanks Tiger

The distance I checked measured 3200 in one and 64 in the other drawing, making one 50 times larger than the other.

Why would they be drawn this way and how do I convert them to the same size?

Units are set to Unitless.

Regards

AutoCad LT did not want to recognise the command INSUNITDEFTARGET.

When I used the INSUNITSDEFSOURCE command, one drawing was set to 4 so I changed it to 1 as you suggested. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem.

Why would they be drawn this way and how do I convert them to the same size?
That's how some people insist it should be done.

Once you know which one is correct you should SCALE the other, selecting ALL objects. Either scale by 50 or 0,2 depending if you want it bigger or samller. Your text will probably now be the wrong size but you can QSELECT it and revise its size. I think an anotative text style would eliminate this problem but if they can't draw full size in the first place I'm guessing they wouldn't know about annotative text.

Hi Dave

Ok I got them to scale to the correct size by following your advice, thanks.

What would now be the best way to "lay" one on top of the other? Basically I now have to put the revised version "on top" of the old one and delete the bits I do not need. I have to do it this way because there are some objects on the old drawing which I need to retain.

I think I would first change the color of the revised version so that everything is say magenta. make sure to save a copy so that you have the original intact.

Then I'd bring in the revised copy as an XREF - insert external reference - and then right-click on the x-ref and select Draw Order > Send to back. That way, you should be able to see everything that is changed pretty clearly.

Thanks Tiger

What Ive done is isolated the layer I needed from the original drawing and copied and pasted it onto the revised drawing. This has accomplished what I needed.

I need to fiddle with xrefs a bit more as I cant seem to get it right. If I dont come right Ill eventually post my questions here.

Thank you ma'am :)