frustrated with new autocad 2009

TheNewGuy

I was using 2002, and getting good with it and now we got a copy of 2009... and I am getting frustrated. How can they take a simple command like the move command and mess it up! In 2002 it was so easy, I can't even figure out how to use it in 2009! For example, if I make a rectangle at a random location on the screen how am I supposed to know what the exact displacement is to get it moved to 0,0,0. Please tell me there is a setting I can change to make it work like it did in 2002. Thanks for you help, I am starting to worry about this new version. (what have I done!):(

they changed the default moves from absolute to relative about 2004. If you want to move something TO somewhere specific precede the to point with a #, as in #0,0

Oh Thank God! That was killing me. And that is a simple fix. Thank you so much! This is the first of what I am sure is to be many questions to follow. And since I was not the only one with this problem I guess there really is no dumb questions....that's what I'll tell me self anyway.:D

there are no stupid questions - stupid answers I can give in abundance.

I use dynamic input and the syntax is slightly different between that and command line but in general you can use # for absolute and @ for relative.

OK here is another one I have noticed so far.. The 3d rotate command. When trying to rotate a 3d item I can no longer simply pick the axis of rotation and the degree of rotation. In this 2009 version 3drotate seems to act like the regular rotate command does in 2002... Any help?

I found some changes in 2009 that effects some things you would consider elementry. Its almost like learning AutoCAD a second time.

OK here is another one I have noticed so far.. The 3d rotate command. When trying to rotate a 3d item I can no longer simply pick the axis of rotation and the degree of rotation. In this 2009 version 3drotate seems to act like the regular rotate command does in 2002... Any help?

3DROTATE is a great command, and the orb that's placed has all three axis' on it so I can't imagine you having problems in selecting the axis you want to rotate around.

I don't seem to get that orb. I have had it appear once or twice so I am not sure what I did differently to make it appear. simply clicking the 3drotate command does not cause it to appear.

I don't seem to get that orb. I have had it appear once or twice so I am not sure what I did differently to make it appear. simply clicking the 3drotate command does not cause it to appear.

Well the orb starts after you pick your object, which then brings up the rotating orb for the point of reference.

And just to be absolutely clear, there's two commands that rotate in 3D. there is 3DROTATE and there is ROTATE3D. The first command is the one you want to use that has the orb. Just make sure you are doing the right one. :)

Ok The orb seems to only appear when I am in a 3d view such as sw isometric. then it works the way you describe. However it does not seem to work like it did in 2002. In other words I can not go to Top view then rotate my object in the same manor. Is this correct?

Ok The orb seems to only appear when I am in a 3d view such as sw isometric. then it works the way you describe. However it does not seem to work like it did in 2002. In other words I can not go to Top view then rotate my object in the same manor. Is this correct?

Sorry, I assumed you were already in a 3D View when using the 3DROTATE command.

To rotate 3D in a plan view, type ROTATE3D instead. This gives you the option to choose which axis you want, etc. :)

OH OK. Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for. please don't go anywhere I am sure I will need your help again shortly! The IT guy just installed this 2009 yesterday and so far, well so far it has been...very different. To put it nicely. Thanks again.

You will get used to it. I couldn't imagine going back to 2002. Ugh. So many additions over the past few years I have really gotten used to and would hate to lose 'em. :)