Is there a way to Crop images inserted into a dwg?

Rosco

Hi

Is there a way to crop images inserted into a dwg? The method I used to insert was simply to right click an image on a website 'copy' / right click in CAD 'paste' rather than insert OLE.

Thx

Use paperspace viewports to clip .

Had a project done by some one else so had pdfs only we added our own images and used viewports polygon to clip and add to make a new visual effect where we removed some detail and added our own. (images were aerial phots from the same source)

• 8 years later...

A little late to the scene but if you select the image, right click, image, clip, and new boundary. Select the top/bottom corners of the side you want to keep, drag across.

Purely as a side not, I was trying to work this out in AutoCAD LT and couldn't find a straight answer, so I hope this is as straight as it comes.

The thing is when a topic gets a new response, it gets moved from way down the list to the top. It's good that you are trying to help.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

You can also place mtext with a background mask to cover over the existing text.

You can enlarge the mtext size with the grips to make the background mask sized appropriately to cover over what you want (old trick of mine).

Similar can be accomplished with a PDF in Autocad.  Just place the new text with a background mask to cover over the existing where needed.

Can be used to replace entire sentences or just single words or dimensions.

pretty solid approach if its what you're after.

Also, hello 2009. :)

-ChriS

13 hours ago, ammobake said:

You can also place mtext with a background mask to cover over the existing text.

You can enlarge the mtext size with the grips to make the background mask sized appropriately to cover over what you want (old trick of mine).

Similar can be accomplished with a PDF in Autocad.  Just place the new text with a background mask to cover over the existing where needed.

Can be used to replace entire sentences or just single words or dimensions.

pretty solid approach if its what you're after.

Also, hello 2009. :)

-ChriS

Where is mtext and background masks mentioned? Not sure I get this response.

It is a way to crop without cropping *per the op's post.

Because you can mask or wipeout without the need to do any cropping in the first place (potentially, depending on the original document and the end result goal).

There are other methods.  But this one does work in Autocad.

You can then plot or plot to PDF without the masks or wipeouts visible (if that makes sense).

Some PDF's will not allow you to edit anything or have security protections.

This allows you to edit, crop, etc... as needed without having to do anything to the PDF.

Also allows you to edit dimensions, notes, callouts, etc.. as you see fit since you can easily mask over the PDF text.

Another alternative to cropping is inserting the PDF to model space.

Set up your own titleblock and create a clipped viewport that only displays what you want to show from the PDF in paperspace.

(excluding the content that you want "clipped" or "cropped" out from the viewport).

EasyPeezy

-ChriS

Edited by ammobake

19 hours ago, ammobake said:

It is a way to crop without cropping *per the op's post.

Because you can mask or wipeout without the need to do any cropping in the first place (potentially, depending on the original document and the end result goal).

There are other methods.  But this one does work in Autocad.

You can then plot or plot to PDF without the masks or wipeouts visible (if that makes sense).

Some PDF's will not allow you to edit anything or have security protections.

This allows you to edit, crop, etc... as needed without having to do anything to the PDF.

Also allows you to edit dimensions, notes, callouts, etc.. as you see fit since you can easily mask over the PDF text.

Another alternative to cropping is inserting the PDF to model space.

Set up your own titleblock and create a clipped viewport that only displays what you want to show from the PDF in paperspace.

(excluding the content that you want "clipped" or "cropped" out from the viewport).

EasyPeezy

-ChriS

I do a screen print of a googled image, and sometimes a downloaded image I want to include in a drawing, paste it to MSPaint, then save it as a png after editing it.  I can then bring it in as an xref using IMAGEATTACH and clip it if required.

For pdf's that I download, I attach them using PDFATTACH and then very often import the linework as CAD objects if they are a vector pdf from a CAD program.  The 2021 release has a very good but not perfect pdf to CAD converter program built in.

None of the above should be done to surreptitiously augment and then offer as your own work.  These are procedures used to highlight a supplier's product in my drawings or include certain client details required to keep the general contractor happy, like procured hardware items or special equipment configurations and placements affecting my drawings.

I draw mostly custom millwork that often includes cabinets and counter tops for bars and restaurants.  A lot of the time I have to show restaurant kitchen equipment in my drawings to scale.   This includes locating precisely any holes that our counter top sub has to drill in the granite or Corian-like counters he is making up. Thankfully, most manufacturers post tear sheets in pdf format on their websites which include vector drawings of their equipment. They are free for the taking, and usually convert to CAD easily.

Just this morning I had to modify the attached elevation to change the type of under-counter cooler to use.  Without this we would not be able to determine the correct non-standard counter top height to install at.  All the kitchen equipment in dashed lines are scale drawings converted from the mfg. pdf tear sheet to CAD and then to CAD blocks bar.thumb.png.d0435d32a8f596baf191ca44fc1e9bab.png