My CAD keeps crashing!

MRAKA

Has anyone seen this error message. See attachment. After about two minutes of opening CAD it shuts it down and the message appears. PLease help!

error message.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• MRAKA

• NBC

• EMS_0525

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does that say "Error handler re-entered?" It's kind of small.

What were you attempting to do when the error happened?

Have you updated AutoCAD 2008 with the latest service pack?

A very quick check at AutoDesk regarding this message indicates it may be related to not enough physical RAM (you've run out of memory). What are you system specs? How much physical RAM is installed on the motherboard? When was the last time you defragged your hard drive? Have you cleaned out your temporary Internat file folder lately?

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah it does say "Error handler re-entered". I wasnt really doing anything it just kept crashing!. I have re-booted my machine and no error messages yet. I have delected my temporary Internet files and I have 4gb of Ram on my machine. i think I will do a de-frag aswell.

Many Thanks

Andrew

South Wales

Are you making use of the 3GB Switch in your boot.ini file? If you aren't then you are doing yourself a disservice as XP will only recognize up to 3GB of RAM and the way it does so puts AutoCAD at a disadvantage. Since AutoCAD is a memory intensive application the problem in this case is self-inflicted and not with AutoCAD per se.

Your IT department is not going to let you do it. These people are all about control and conformity. That's why it is my fervent belief that the CAD department have firm control over its own computers. No one else in the company puts such demands on their computers as does the CAD department.

I can recommend the edit to the boot.ini file as I am running it on my system. I will give you two warnings though. The first is that some graphics cards do not tolerate the change well and you may have to go back to using the original file (make a copy before editting). In which case remove 1GB of memory and note what happens (its all in the way Windows utilizes memory). The second is triple check the new line being added to the boot.ini file as a mistake could prevent your computer from booting up.

I did the 3gb switch yesterday, just got 2 more gb of ram, and i find it funny how its as easy as adding "/3GB" to that text string to get windows to use more ram... ya think it would be more difficult or something, heck i know what would seem like more simple things are more complex.....

Most people will add a second line to the boot.ini file so they have an option to run with it enabled or not. It just comes down to personal choice. I have the editted line as my default with the original line (no 3GB switch enabled) as my second option.

You cannot force XP to use any additional memory above 3GB without editting the boot.ini file. You might have to resort to the use of a memory flusher and hope that any released memory it captures is enough to get you by. As a last resort bring up Task Manager and shut down any processes that are not absolutely critical. That's what I used to do when I had Windows 2000 as my OS. There are online articles that discuss what processes are good targets for this and which ones to positively avoid shutting down. The ones I was unable to get any information on from Microsoft 's website I researched on my own. I made a list of them and kept it by my monitor for such times as I had to resort to drastic measures. There were a few I couldn't find any information for so I experimented. I quickly learned what I could and could not touch. That was pretty scary.

Some memory management programs are:

RAM Memory Cleaner and Optimizer

Memory Cleaner

Memory Defragger

Memory Washer

RAMBooster

It's the last one that I remember back when I was running AutoCAD 9 on a 486-50MHz computer. Haven't had need to use one in quite some time.