Export DWG file with .txt or .CSV

DMS

AutoCAD 2009 Full Version

Is there any way of exporting a drawing file (.dwg) along with a .txt or .csv file that contains the text within the drawing. Then saving both these files to a specific folder.

Your help would be appreciated.....

What would this be used for? I think I've seen routines here for exporting data to Excel, would that work? If we get a bit more information it's easier to come up with a good answer.

Tiger, thanks for your reply.

This will be used to import the dwg file into a document management system.

The dwg file will be stored and the txt or csv file will contain the drawings reference information such as drawing change information, version number, drawing references, etc.

As long as I can save both dwg and csv together in one folder that would do the trick.

Would that information be in the drawing in let's say a textbox or a attributed block or something along those lines?

I would do a search here for extract attributes and see what you find - from the very quick search I did there was quite a few hits with a few lisps that should be able to help you. Good luck :)

You can export extracted data to an external CSV file from within AutoCAD by using the Data Extraction wizard via the Choose Output page.

Consult Help > Index > Type in the keyword to find: CSV files.

To the right, click on the Procedure tab. Both of the topics listed will assist you in accomplishing one part of your task (data extraction). You can choose to save the resultant file in any folder on your hard drive using the Browse button.

Search here under VBA lisp forum blocks extraction I think you would need a purpose written routine to export only certain block information such as that only contained in a "Title" block. Not sure if using data extraction will dump too much info or you will need to run multiple times for different blocks.

The advantage of this would be that you could search 100,s of drawings in one go and write out the answers using a script put the answers say in 1 excel file then just sort file. Then you would have a history record of revisions etc. It could be patched into a "save" command so always keeps up to date every time drawing is saved.

Dwgno sheetno title1 title2 rev issued

12345 1 New plan Fred smith 0 today

12345 2 Floor plan Fred smith 1 yesterday

12345 3 roof plan Fred smith 01 maybe soon

Also search "dwg recording" "time sheets" seem to remember something about that recording details and how to do it.