Data Extraction

RyanAtNelco

Hello,

I am having trouble figuring out how to extract data from mtext and inserting it into an excel workbook. I would like to use the data from fields i have that correspond to dimensions and have them automatically sent to certain cells in an excel spreadsheet that allows us to calculate the weight and center of gravity of a neutron door. I have no clue where to start - any info would be great.

Thanks!

You mention extracting data from both MText and from Fields. Which is it? If it is MTExt I'm not sure it could be done without the aid of a Lisp routine. Extracting data from a Field should be covered in AutoCAD Help.

OK. Well that's a new one on me. I do not use Fields in my drawings but I'm familiar with their use in MS Access and other databases. AutoCAD Help doesn't cover extraction of this data when used in this manner?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the basic steps:

1. Choose to start a new extraction or modify an existing one
  2. Choose whether you want to include data from multiple drawings or just the current drawing. If you choose to extract data from multiple drawings, you can't choose objects in those drawings. You can add drawings individually, or add an entire folder. If you choose to extract only from the current drawing, you can then go back to the drawing and select objects.
  3. Then you choose which categories of data you want, and further refine the selection by choosing properties within those categories. You can extract 10 categories of data from objects, although not every drawing contains all 10 categories. These are:

• 3D Visualization, including materials
  • Attributes
  • Drawing data, such as file name, file size, and more
  • Dynamic Blocks, meaning their properties
  • General, which means properties such as color, layer, etc.
  • Geometry, which includes X,Y coordinates, and other object-specific data
  • Misc, which includes block unit and closed/open status
  • Pattern, which means hatch pattern properties
  • Table, which is table properties
  • Text, which includes single or multiline text properties

1. Next you refine the data. You can create formulas, specify data format, and more using the right-click shortcut menu. You can also sort columns and link to external data.
  2. On the next page, you choose whether you want to create a table, an external file, or both. You can create XLS, CSV, MDB, or TXT files.
  3. Finally, you place the table, specify the file name and location, or both. Here you see part of a table that includes drawing information from an entire folder of drawings.