auto cad 2010 help files

prabhathjp

i have auto cad 2010 and when i press the F1 key a massage "cannot find help file :acad.chm" is appeared.......what can i do....

First, use Explorer and see if the file is anywhere on your hard drive. If it is note down the location (full path). Then open AutoCAD and under Tools > Options > Files look for the entry Menu, Help and Miscellaneous File Names. Expand that entry by clicking on the + sign to the left. Now click on the + sign next to the entry that reads Help File. The path to acad.chm should be listed here. If it isn't, and you were able to find the file using Explorer add the path. Normally this path would be something like this:

C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2010\help\acad.chm

Hope this is of some help to you.

Dear ReMark......

Many thanks for helping me.....I did as instructions of you.....but the help folder is empty.......how can i get those files....is it posible to download....

So there is no acad.chm file anywhere on your hard drive and there is no path indicated like the one I mentioned in Tools > Options > Files > Menu....?

Can you verify the file name please. I see that the Help file for 2008 was named acad171.chm. For 2010 I would expect it to be acad181.chm.

You might want to consider trying the Repair option on your installation DVD and see if it corrects the problem.

• 2 years later...

The method to initialize help files in this forum is not accurate for my version of AutoCAD 2010. Although I did manage to activate them extrapolating the information contained in the form. Thank you for that!

Here is the method that I used to activate my help files:

Under Menu "Big red A in upper left corner of screen."

click > Options "Bottom of big window."

Under > Files, look for the entry "Help and Miscellaneous File Names".

Expand that entry by clicking on the + sign to the left.

Now click on the + sign next to the entry that reads Help File.

The name and path to ACAD help file (which may be named acad.chm, but in my case was named acad180.chm, and the name changes depending on the version of AutoCAD you're using) should be listed here.

Use the Browse button and find your version of the help file which should be located under: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2010\help\acad180.chm

Click on your version of the help file and then use the OK button to move out your selection set.