The 21st was a waste of time

Coosbaylumber

I am using Autocad for DOS.

But got going happily going along on Thursday the 21st, saving my work every so often. Even writing the work to another computer at noon and end of day.

Now I cannot find a single thing that was done on the 21st. As if the whole day did not happen. I got work showing in the directories going back couple years, but exactly ending on the 20th, when the computer was shut off for the day. I do other things on the computer than Autocad too, and they were mysteriously gone also.

On Friday morning the old hard drive was making a noise at start up time, it got replaced about noon with another sceecher, and was then I noticed that Nothing was saved. Not even on the hard drive to the secondary computer hundreds of feet away from here. It got turned on, looked at an hour later on. That secondary computer kept a good log of the 20th, and every day prior to that but the data sent on the 21st was essentially empty, gone and useless.

Autocad DOS does not seem to be saving on occasion as it says it is doing. This has happened before, about one year ago or so was last incident.

How do I verify that current hard drive data and that sent is good next time I see it, after the computer is shut of for the night? I want to use the data the next day and continue on then. I am now trying to figure out waht was done a few days ago, and retracing the steps again.

Must be missing something then.

Wm.

You wrote the data to a second computer how? You use no other media, for backup, like a floppy disk, Zip drive or Jaz drive?

AutoCAD for DOS. Unbelievable.

Isn't there a DOS command that will verify the writing of data? What do you do to check that data has been written to the second computer in the first place? Do you ever check?

Guess I answered part of the question without knowing it.

Verify

Tells Windows whether to verify that your files are written correctly to a disk.

VERIFY [ON | OFF]

Type VERIFY without a parameter to display the current VERIFY setting.

I was not aware of such a feature.

I assumed that if you could open up a certain file on another computer it was good then. I turn off the computer when sun goes down and fire off again next morning. There are no "Read-Only" attributes on the computer. I would Assume that everthing which had done yesterday was still on the system, someplace. But still had to rename to few old backup files that were not bleeped off to recreate a few of the new altered ones. Odd too in that the Backup files had a more recent date than did the original file names. How can you then back up into the future? Tried the UNDELETE function in DOS but it gave me a "Duhh... wadda you mean?"

Now, what did I do on Thursday then?

Wm.

What version of DOS is loaded on this computer?

Wasn't there a virus that had something to do with computers losing a day?

Wasn't there a virus that had something to do with computers losing a day?

Exactly as I was thinking. I think they are older virus, but are still around. I used to communicate with a fellow in Moscow, and such things were commonplace there. I opened up one of his older messages two months ago and it said Happy New Year 1999.

But am running DOS 7 (which within one month became Windows 95 I understand). Had tried DOS 6.2 and 6.22 zero problems. With DOS 5 was rather slow-slow, but that was more than a decade ago too.

Only odd thing am experiencing right now, is the in morning, takes 3-4 times to boot up fully, such that eventially the whole OS will then run fast. Prior to this time, it takes like 2-3 seconds in between a command and a reaction by computer.

After the third or fourth time at a re-boot, it goes fast and stays that way for entire day. Until next morning. Folks at COMPUTING.NET say it was one reason for MS not to introduce 7 on to the world.

Wm.

Guess I answered part of the question without knowing it.

Verify

Tells Windows whether to verify that your files are written correctly to a disk.

VERIFY [ON | OFF]

Type VERIFY without a parameter to display the current VERIFY setting.

Just did a check on all current computers around here, and on the uninstalled hard drives too.

Each one is reporting now that VERIFY is Off.

Is not mentioned in my Micro-soft published books anyplace.

Should this be turned back ON and how then?

Back at end of 2008, had a situation in that one of the old bugs went and changed all files (on two hard drives) with a date prior to 2004 to have a READ-ONLY attribute. Still finding those as of today.

May be found yet another annoyance.

Wm.

You can learn more about the verify command by using MS-DOS help. At the command prompt type help verify. This should pull up the associated topics: Syntax, Notes and Examples.

Verify is normally shut off as you indicated because data verification dramatically slows performance. You can also try using the Compare command to ensure the reliability of your backups. You are in the habit of creating backups aren't you?

My last experience with MS-DOS was version 6.21. After that I did configure a computer for a friend using PC-DOS version 7 for use with Windows 98.

How many computers do you have? Are they all running on MS-DOS? What's with these un-installed drives you keep mentioning? Are they just spares?

Re: Compare. The correct name for the command is Comp. Comp can compare files on the same drive or different drives. To find out more type help comp at the command prompt.