Is Revit MEP worth using without a 3D architectural model?

Siberian

I'm a AutoCAD MEP guy considering Revit MEP instead. Now Revit MEP is advertised to fully bring BIM into the equation, which has me picturing 3D models at once. This sound nice and all, but the main problem I think is that no architects (at least not here) even distribute 3D models to people like myself (I deal with piping/HVAC). They work in 3D themselves (I believe), but as soon as it comes to distribution I've never recieved anything but plain 2D dwg files made up of standard blocks and such. I don't think this will change over night so my question is this; does this reduce the "potensial" of Revit MEP to such an extent that it's perhaps not even worth using for people like me before the architects start using it?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had revit demonstrated live on line and it can be used with 2d drawings, and it was so easy for the demonstrator to add walls and doors etc to make the drawing 3d in no time ,it looks a great prog ,im on the electrical side and it still needs some more develoment time to add design calcs etc to be perfect but its getting there.The terms used are still those as used in the usa they havnt made it into a true uk version yet so I will wait ontil they have sorted it.

In your job being able to fit everything into a 3d environment is going to be great as you are able to view in 3d and change the heights etc of duct etc in real time and see the effect along the whole length of the runs,I was very impressed by the product

• 2 months later...

Siberian,

I am new to MEP 2008, I work for a plumbing contractor, I try to use MEP 08 to create a coordination drawing.

what is the advantage of useing MEP 08 instead of regular cad?

Thank you

Siberian,

I am new to MEP 2008, I work for a plumbing contractor, I try to use MEP 08 to create a coordination drawing.

what is the advantage of useing MEP 08 instead of regular cad?

Thank you

3D elevations during coordination.

I'm a AutoCAD MEP guy considering Revit MEP instead. Now Revit MEP is advertised to fully bring BIM into the equation, which has me picturing 3D models at once. This sound nice and all, but the main problem I think is that no architects (at least not here) even distribute 3D models to people like myself (I deal with piping/HVAC). They work in 3D themselves (I believe), but as soon as it comes to distribution I've never recieved anything but plain 2D dwg files made up of standard blocks and such. I don't think this will change over night so my question is this; does this reduce the "potensial" of Revit MEP to such an extent that it's perhaps not even worth using for people like me before the architects start using it?

You don't "have" to use Revit, but go ahead and get started learning so you can open your company up to projects that will be considered Revit Only. We only use Revit here when needed, other than that its AutoCAD MEP all the way in house. So much better and faster for our company's needs. :)