Cross Sections of topography

mcjohn

Hi guys/girls, I just joined the site!

I have a question regarding cutting cross sections in my software autocad 2009. I work with mining design dwg files that contain, among other data, topography at 5 m contours and open pit benches/toes/crests. I currently take cross sections across a pit and extended on both sides covering the topography lines by drawing a section line, measuring the distances between contours/toes/crests, recording the elevation, and drawing the section out in another file. This is often time consuming and can potentially have errors if measurements are not taken accurately, not redrawn properly, etc.

Is there a faster, more efficient method to take a section by drawing out a section line and having it pick-up the points at the proper elevations (which are listed in the 3d polylines) and have it automatically draw the section out? I'm sure there must be cheap autocad add-ons to do this or an autolisp routine or possibly an autocad method I'm not aware of (I can't find anything googling so far that isn't a $1000+ package)

Thanks,

John

I should mention I have AutoCad civil 3D which may have some useful tools? I really haven't done anything new in this program that I haven't done in much older autocad versions so perhaps I should read a manual on it.

Use "profiles" thats what CIV3d is about to generate cross or long sections, the only problem is setting up your profile style once done avaialble for ever. Out of the box though should give you reasonable answers.

A word of warning we have played with jobs with 2,000,000+ points and CIV3d starts to struggle. Mining projects can end up that big. But on the plus side keep each surface model separate then you can do volume comparisons as your mine gets bigger.