3ds MAX 09 Materials (none appear to be there)

young1gun

Hi,

I created a 3D model of a house in ACAD 2009, I then imported it into 3DS MAX 09 and unfortunatley I am unable to get the materials that I want to use in 3DS for the model :cry:.

Could someone tell me the best way to upload JPEGS for use in 3DS as I have tried but they dont appear in the 3DS user interface. (first time i have used 3D :?) i normally use CAD

Thanks in advance

I have moved your question to the 3DS Max section.

If you've never used Max, then why did you import your CAD drawing. Why didn't you just stay in Autocad?

Take a look at this tutorial to get some of the basics of the material editor: http://dxyner2000.com/tutorials/tut1.htm, then come back if you still have questions.

Also, have a look at this: http://books.google.com/books?id=vbuSqUr3XoEC&pg=PA282&lpg=PA282&dq=3ds+max+material+editor+apply+bitmap+to+model&source=bl&ots=_MQpr2I0lK&sig=lGh9_7IK3FJVH2bjERXS1KhfHbo&hl=en&ei=8EUhSryaF4a0NN_9rcEJ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#PPA275,M1

My AutoCAD apply materials button doesnt work in this particular drawing and I dont want to re-draw the model or reinstall CAD, I have also been that 3DS is alot easier to use for 3d modelling. Is this true?

I figured out that in 3DS when you click on Bitmap it will also let you upload other image types like JPEG

Thanks for the links

I have also been that 3DS is alot easier to use for 3d modelling. Is this true?

Once you get through the steep learning curve and get comfortable with the program, then yes, Max is much easier to use than Autocad in my opinion. I don't do any modeling in CAD anymore.

I find that in CAD hte end product after applying the materials is just not the same standard of quality as you would get from 3DS, I dont expect to learn 3DS fully for a couple of years at least, although I find alot of similarities within the two programs which is an advantage, thanks for the info by the way really appreciate the help :D

Well, someone is always here 24-7, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Just be sure to post them in the correct area of the forum. :wink:

And take some time to read through the questions that have been previously posted. I'm sure you will pick up some good pointers.

And be sure to check out this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29434. It has links to sites offering hundreds of free tutorials.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)