Can't change object color in properties

Hi There -

I cannot change the color of any object in any drawing file from the properties manager or color command. I can change the color through the layer manager by assigning a new color to that layer, but cannot override the ByLayer and ByBlock settings with the object properties. The color drop down is simply grayed out. I am using Autocad lt 2006.

Does anyone know how to fix this or where to start? I've been working on it for hours and not sure how it happened.

Thank you!

Doc

Hi,

Check if the object for which you are trying to change the properties is a block. If it is so you have to change the properties from the block editor.

Hope it helps you

Tom Kelly

hi

could you explode the object then change the colour?

if its a block then block editor is easier but an alternative is to explode the block then recreate it after you change the colour...

Hi - thanks for the replies - nope, not a block related issue. Even a freshly drawn line on Layer 0. The problem is universal across every object, block or not, in every .dwg file on my computer. I can change it from the command line with the following :

CHANGE

PROPERTIES

COLOR

but not through the drop down menu for the color variable in the properties window.

Really strange....

• 3 years later...

Did this ever get resolved..... I am having similar issues. Using Autocad 2011. If I pick an object, any object, in an old drawing, or newly created drawing, I cannot change it's color in the Quick Properties dialog box. "Color" is grayed out, and not selectable. I can change it via the pulldown in the Layer Manager on my toolbar, but not in the Quick Properties dialog. This just started happening. Anyone have any idea what can be going on?

I don't know if the original was solved. You say this just started happening. You also say you are using 2011, but your profile shows 2010. Did you just start using 2011? Do you have all of the service packs installed?

Neo, I've been using 2011 for a while. All service packs installed. And yes, it just started happening. Very strange. I did a repair of my 2011 install last night and it fixed the problem. Sure wish I knew what caused it, but I'm sure I never will.... thanks for responding!

Neo, I've been using 2011 for a while. All service packs installed. And yes, it just started happening. Very strange. I did a repair of my 2011 install last night and it fixed the problem. Sure wish I knew what caused it, but I'm sure I never will.... thanks for responding!
Glad you got it fixed. Using repair sounds like a good approach. Thanks for telling us what solved the prob. May it never return!