"drawing file is not valid"

MDP

I lost a portion of a dwg. and downloaded a file from our backup service. When I try and open the file in Autocad, the messenger says "drawing file is not valid". any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

no i did not change the file type, It says it is a autocad drawing file and is represented by the typical dwg icon

I think it is a simple matter of the file is from a newer version of autocad.

Download the new Design Review 2010 and use that to convert the file to your version.

Thank you all for the responses I am new to this site and will post the file soon. I had to just jump back at it and reproduce the detail. Our real concern is that the file was supposed to be an exact copy of what we had on our server last night. We use Ibackup as a remote backup service and they assured me the file should not have be modified or corrupted by them. I will continue trying and post any progress made. thanks again.mdp

• 7 months later...

Hello

This is a temporary solution to the issue i had when opening a drawing in CAD2010 that was created in an older version. I would get the AutoCAD Message - Drawing file is not valid.

Well, for some reason, don't ask me why, when i email the drawing to my hotmail account (haven't tried it on outlook, it may work) and open it from hotmail it works!?

As i said, this is a temporary solution as it is a pain having to do this every time so please please post the perminent solution to this problem

• 1 year later...

I know this an old thread, but I just had the same problem.

Here's the file 15_Prodex_ConcealedFixingWithHangingProfiles_Mounting_2009.11.04-1.dwg which I just downloaded from this source http://www.prodema.com/en/autocad-downloads/.

That's what I tried so far:

• I am using the latest version of Autocad
  • I tried recovering from within Autocad
  • I tried opening with Design Review
  • I tried opening with True View

Any further ideas?

Looking at the file it shows as AC1018 which is 04, 05 and 06 autocad (if it was autocad at all). I downloaded the file and had the same issue as the OP. I did notice however, that when in recovery, windows could show a preview of the file so it is in there somewhere.....

ACAD Preview.JPG