+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Coosbaylumber View Post
    As mentioned earlier, you do know that even if you get it running, it will not be working any text other than some default type.

Wm.

Hi Wm. Thank you for the note. Do I have it right that I will need to run Autocad R14 with Windows 98 to get this type of HP pen plotter to work? (The earliest version of Autocad that we have is 2002.) Is it the newer Windows platforms that are of issue here or Autocad - or both?

Using
    AutoCAD pre 2000

You know, I do not know just who is at fault here. I do know that went we bought the H-P 650c plotter, we all had to reinstall Autocad. I think that once you "choose" a plotter it then automatically chooses permitted text fonts then too.

If you use a raster or thermal plotter/printer, then is goes to Windows and say , Here Is...

If you choose a pen plotter, then it goes to the Acad directory and says Here Is...

Per my old book it says Windows recognises only one pen font. It will alter things inside during installation time, and convert text so that the plotter/ptinter will understand. It does not say if this is automatic or not. Windows looks for files using Post Script, Dot matrix, Autocad Plotter, and something called HP PCL. I am supposed to look for font files using a (TrueType) .ttf or plotter languages using a FON type. Thre is some setting within the Windows Config function that converts everything, but how I don't know. I would assume that if you got several fonts being used it will only allow one then.

I do know that H-P does not understand pen languages without conversions, during that era.

Wm.

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

You know, I do not know just who is at fault here. I do know that went we bought the H-P 650c plotter, we all had to reinstall Autocad. I think that once you "choose" a plotter it then automatically chooses permitted text fonts then too.

If you use a raster or thermal plotter/printer, then is goes to Windows and say , Here Is...

If you choose a pen plotter, then it goes to the Acad directory and says Here Is...

Per my old book it says Windows recognises only one pen font. It will alter things inside during installation time, and convert text so that the plotter/ptinter will understand. It does not say if this is automatic or not. Windows looks for files using Post Script, Dot matrix, Autocad Plotter, and something called HP PCL. I am supposed to look for font files using a (TrueType) .ttf or plotter languages using a FON type. Thre is some setting within the Windows Config function that converts everything, but how I don't know. I would assume that if you got several fonts being used it will only allow one then.

I do know that H-P does not understand pen languages without conversions, during that era.

Wm.
    Hi Wm. If we don't have any text on the drawing file - only lines - would there be an issue with using more current versions of Windows/Autocad. We are planning on using this pen plotter for presentation line drawings only - no text. Thx!

Computer Details
    Jack_O'neill's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    xp
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Jack_O'neill's Discipline Details
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    The bulk of my business is commercial curtainwall, site plans and floor plans. I do occasionally get a bit of tool and die, and the odd house now and again.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kindergartenchats View Post
    Hi Jack, I purchased the HP 7475A (with an RS232 interface) that was listed on eBay. I figure it's worth a shot. I also sent an email to Vermes Technik to inquire about ink pens for this plotter (I found their contact info on the HP Museum web site, which notes that they still manufacture pens for all HP pen plotters - thank you for the link). I guess the next step is to purchase a USB to serial adaptor (I'm thinking about one from USB Gear) and to see if I can get this fella up and running using Autocad '06 and Windows XP. Many thanks again for your help!
    Rapidograph (spelling?) also makes plotter pens in several styles. Good luck with it! Hope it works out for you.

This discussion has re-ignited my interest in getting that old Ioline working if I can. Wife's been after me to make her some big posters for her classroom. If I can make that thing work, sure would be easier.

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_O'neill View Post
    Rapidograph (spelling?) also makes plotter pens in several styles. Good luck with it! Hope it works out for you.

This discussion has re-ignited my interest in getting that old Ioline working if I can. Wife's been after me to make her some big posters for her classroom. If I can make that thing work, sure would be easier.

Thanks Jack. Would you happen to have a source for finding Rapidograph pens for these plotters? Ideally, I guess a refillable style would be best as you would then be able to keep things going without having to find a stash of disposable pens. Good deal on renewing the interest on your pen plotter. I've always been a fan of the quality of line this type of plotter gives - ink on mylar - it's a good thing!

Using
    AutoCAD pre 2000

I have used the converted Rapygraph on my Calcomp equipment. The adapters being sold tend to boost the pen too high in the holder, and then it whacks the clear cover from the bottom. I don't know how this works on the small H-P types.

I think is better and simplier to go to purpose made pens like as made by Rapygraph. Only thing is to watch out and make sure the ink will flow when you need it. The refillable type of cartridges are long gone. Also, as before, you have to set forth a 16 color code, stick with it, as those colors determine as to which pen is chosen. I have a system here for my Calcomps. You just cannot go from one type of plotter to the other and expect same results. Got to plan ahead.

I use the Calcomp pen plotter for working up lines on paper, the USGS quadrant maps to be exact. I can lay on a few ink pen lines and explanitory test fast and exactly. Can't do that with an inkjet plotter.

Wm.

Computer Details
    Jack_O'neill's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    xp
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Jack_O'neill's Discipline Details
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    The bulk of my business is commercial curtainwall, site plans and floor plans. I do occasionally get a bit of tool and die, and the odd house now and again.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kindergartenchats View Post
    Thanks Jack. Would you happen to have a source for finding Rapidograph pens for these plotters? Ideally, I guess a refillable style would be best as you would then be able to keep things going without having to find a stash of disposable pens. Good deal on renewing the interest on your pen plotter. I've always been a fan of the quality of line this type of plotter gives - ink on mylar - it's a good thing!
    Not right off the top of my head, but if you google "rapidograph" you'll find several suppliers.

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

I have used the converted Rapygraph on my Calcomp equipment. The adapters being sold tend to boost the pen too high in the holder, and then it whacks the clear cover from the bottom. I don't know how this works on the small H-P types.

I think is better and simplier to go to purpose made pens like as made by Rapygraph. Only thing is to watch out and make sure the ink will flow when you need it. The refillable type of cartridges are long gone. Also, as before, you have to set forth a 16 color code, stick with it, as those colors determine as to which pen is chosen. I have a system here for my Calcomps. You just cannot go from one type of plotter to the other and expect same results. Got to plan ahead.

I use the Calcomp pen plotter for working up lines on paper, the USGS quadrant maps to be exact. I can lay on a few ink pen lines and explanitory test fast and exactly. Can't do that with an inkjet plotter.

Wm.
    Hi Wm. Thank you for the info on pens. Could you please describe in a bit more in detail how to go about setting up a 16 color code for a pen plotter? The HP (7475A) we are going to be working with has a 6-pen carousel. Thx!

Using
    AutoCAD pre 2000

I think 16 pen is the normal default in earlier Acad. They do not tell you this either, as it is in some early edition of a manual. I use a 4 and 8 pen holder for my Calcomp equipment, and they simply repeat the numbers over and over again, based upon beginning at 1. Thus I can use a line type ten, and it will equate to pen hole three. When plotter stops and asks if OK to continue, That is time to insert what I had anticipated for pen ten. Usually a rather thick one, like a #5. Draws the border, and then twenty seconds later it will then ask about pen One, and I know the drawing is finished. Pen one never gets really gets installed. Just hit the button to continue and within two seconds says PLOT FINISHED. Now is removal, clean up and inspection time.

So I used an H-P 8575 (?) back when, and it repeated same routine via it's LED lens on the right. It was a eight pen carosel, and repeated until all called for numbers on original drawing were finished. Then went back to table and corrected all the mis drawn lines and wrong calculations. Do another plot late in day or wait until tomorrow.

Wm.

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I think 16 pen is the normal default in earlier Acad. They do not tell you this either, as it is in some early edition of a manual. I use a 4 and 8 pen holder for my Calcomp equipment, and they simply repeat the numbers over and over again, based upon beginning at 1. Thus I can use a line type ten, and it will equate to pen hole three. When plotter stops and asks if OK to continue, That is time to insert what I had anticipated for pen ten. Usually a rather thick one, like a #5. Draws the border, and then twenty seconds later it will then ask about pen One, and I know the drawing is finished. Pen one never gets really gets installed. Just hit the button to continue and within two seconds says PLOT FINISHED. Now is removal, clean up and inspection time.

So I used an H-P 8575 (?) back when, and it repeated same routine via it's LED lens on the right. It was a eight pen carosel, and repeated until all called for numbers on original drawing were finished. Then went back to table and corrected all the mis drawn lines and wrong calculations. Do another plot late in day or wait until tomorrow.

Wm.
    Hi Wm. I see, so with Autocad R12 & R14 - are the pens then set up (in the plot file) based on the available 16 colors (in these older versions of Autocad) - each of which is assigned to a specific # in the carousel? On a side note, can Autocad R12 and/or R14 be used with Windows (98?) or are these only DOS based? Thx!