structural and architectural detailing

Narmin_T

Hi, I need to find the best way to transform my basic cad drawing in to glam detail/working drawing in cad and havent got a clue how and where to get info from to either copy or integerate in my plans and sections.....how do architects normaly create such detail drawings?????

Help me....I am a 3rd year student with a short deadline.:wink:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Narmin_T

• qball

• SuperCAD

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you drawing? A residence, commercial building, other?

What info are you looking to copy into or integrate into your plans? Are you referring to blocks?

You're best bet is to grab a bunch of plans and details from architects that you respect and who's work really inspires you. Then pick through each one to see what it is that makes their drawings so appealing. Don't copy their style, but use it to learn from and find out what kind of details they are putting on their plans. I spent over 8 years as a material estimator for a lumber yard, and that's what I did. In fact, I STILL have the one blueprint that stood out above all the rest (and I've seen hundreds of plans from a lot of different architects).

well,the project is designing a sustainable school and integrating the best structural and technological solutions in it. so far the structural aspects are:

• Structure: beam and column (irrigular grid and large spans)
  • Load bearing central cores (concrete boxes)
  • floor system is cast in place concrete with raised floor system
  • foundation is pile type
  • interior partitions (gypsum....lots of curve)
  • cladding is glass (glazing system used :bolt fixd glazing)
  • need to do the services also......

tell me what you think,and where can I find details of systems really to put in my plans....my plans are just thick black lines now and they need to be full of detail,a perfect working drawing and I am really strugelling.:oops:

many thanks

That's a great resource, ReMark (I've got it too) but I don't think it will help very much if the poster doesn't know how or what to detail out. You kind of have to know what you're doing in order for it to be helpful.

Without actually seeing the drawings there isn't a whole lot that we can tell you as far as what you'll need for details. The typical stuff is:

1. Wall sections through each unique wall.
  2. Sections through the entire building showing unique interior elevations.
  3. All exterior elevations.
  4. Obviously, floor plans.
  5. Window/Door/Finish/Hardware schedules.
  6. Electrical plans and riser diagrams.
  7. Plumbing plans and riser diagrams.
  8. HVAC plans and diagrams.
  9. Notes.
  10. Notes.
  11. More notes.
  12. Even more notes.

A third year architectural student who does not know how or what to detail would have had to be skipping most of his classes or sleeping during them. I took three architectural design/drafting courses in the course of one year and learned as much and I wasn't even studying to be an architect.

wow,well done to who ever managed to learn things muuuuuuch faster than me!....not every one is the same , and obviusley I did not benefit from best education at uni!....also I am not here to be told off by any expert ....just asked for help...if you cant help , there is no need to show off !

structural question???

when designing a 3story building with one basement level of parking...do I need to follow the same structural frame to the roof from the parking ...or can have column and beams in the basement and another system for the rest of the building, does this effect structural integrity?

my point is does the same layout need to be followed?

tanx

I did not "tell you off".

My point was that with three years of studies in the architectural field you should be far and away more advanced than myself. If that isn't the case then perhaps you should give some thought as to why that is.

I did make an initial offer of help by pointing you to a respected resource for architectural details. It's up to you to follow through. Additional information can be obtained from manufacturers' websites and architectural/engineering related materials such as books and magazines.

Continue to ask questions like the one posed aboved re: garage/structural and you'll most likely receive responses from other forum members as well.

And keep you're cool. Ratching up the anger will get you nowhere...fast.

I can't give you any resources but only some experience. I've been with this structural company for 5 years, and our details are almost constantly evolving. Many times a detail looks great on paper, but the contractor will gouge your eyes out when he actually tries to build it. Some products become obsolete.

Construction experience will help the "reality" of drawings. If you're cutting and pasting details from resources (as Remark has linked), be really detailed about it. Make sure that the details "synch" up with each other.

Fair enough Remark.....tanx for the links....I ve spent good time looking for the things I need, and found some good ones.

Q: I need underground parking lay out.....structure lay out more than anything. does anyone know where I can find some info on it,or examples??

tanx

just for school project right? if you have time find a parkade in your city and take some measurements.

otherwise, 9ft wide x 20ft long parking stalls (depending on municipal guidelines) with a 25ft drive aisle and 24"X36" concrete columns at the ends of every second parking stall.

Once again, if it were me, I would first start with opening my good companion Ramsey/Sleeper's Architectural Graphic Standards, 9th Edition and look at pages 101 and 105. Then I might take a trip down to the local building department and ask them to pull the plans on one of three parking garages in my small city (population of 72,000) and spend some time going through each set making notes along the way. I might even ask to have a couple of details photocopied or bring a portable scanner and scan them myself. I don't know what is available to you in London but surely there has to be at least one parking garage you know of that you could do some research on. Maybe your university has an underground garage? Check with the department responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the facilities. They should have a copy of the plans.