Good Books for Learning Autocad

midwest

As titled I'm completely green with autocad,I got 08 presently and rather than bothering everyone with a bunch of questions I'll just ask one..

Can anyone suggest some good books to attempt a self learning curve.I am a carpenter by trade and woodworker/metalworker by hobby,what I want out of cad is to be able to make plans and models of future projects,and possibly in the future cnc.any help is greatly appreciated...

For future reference . . .

Providing a descriptive title to your thread will help you get more replies.

It will also allow you to check the 'Similar Threads' at the bottom of this page.

I have renamed your thread, and as you can see, there are now several threads for you to check out.

You can also check our FAQ section, which provides a listing of several good books and resources.

As titled I'm completely green with autocad,I got 08 presently and rather than bothering everyone with a bunch of questions I'll just ask one..

Can anyone suggest some good books to attempt a self learning curve.I am a carpenter by trade and woodworker/metalworker by hobby,what I want out of cad is to be able to make plans and models of future projects,and possibly in the future cnc.any help is greatly appreciated...

Harnessing AutoCAD 2008 G.V. Krishnan, Thomas A. Stellman

ISBN-10: 1-4283-1156-4

ISBN-13: 978-1-4283-1156-5

Illustrated AutoCAD 2008 Quick Reference Ralph Grabowski

ISBN-1-4283-1160-2

I'd also suggest getting a copy of the "AutoCAD 2008 and AutoCAD LT 2008 Bible" by Ellen Finkelstein

Omura, Finkelstein and Grabowski are well respected and noted authors of AutoCAD related books. Can't go wrong picking any one of them. BTW...Welcome to the CADTutor forum midwest.

I'd also suggest getting a copy of the "AutoCAD 2008 and AutoCAD LT 2008 Bible" by Ellen Finkelstein

This would be my sugestion too. I have used this books for a while, I try to buy it with every release I get (if necessary) because they help a lot.

Thanks for the replies all,

cad64

thanks for the title switch,that similar threads thing is pretty handy.

I've picked up a book called sybex autocad 08 no experience required by David Frey.I will hunt for them [Omura, Finkelstein and Grabowski]Books but I'm completely green with any cad program.I almost had to watch a video to launch this crazy thing,lol...It wasn't quiet that bad I'm fairly computer literate,but I've never played with this type software.

Edit:

I found 2 books,one by finkelstein and the other by Omura.Both are for 09,is there a big diffrence in the 2 programs?

in the main the difference is that in '09 the ribbon was introduced to make it look

more like Windows Vista, a few othe functionalities were introduced - so i'd be a

bit carefull getting those books as they may ask you to use a command you

don't have. - i'm sure those with '09 would be able explain it better :)

Hi Midwest, I am a carpenter and I am self taught in autocad. ( sounds like a line from an AA meet!:lol:)

The Sybex books helped me a lot in the early days but do not forget the built in help files in autocad. They often need to be read a couple of times but are useful.

Check out Lynne Allen's tutorials in Cadalyst, very helpful and those on this site.

I have found it of immense value to be able design things such as stairs without drawing out full size rods and sections and for designing jigs and patterns for more involved work. I guess I am saying keep at it, it gets easier with practice.

Lastly, as I have found, there is no "dumb" question on cadtutor and people here are very free with advice from their wealth of experience.:)

Rob.

I have found it of immense value to be able design things such as stairs without drawing out full size rods and sections and for designing jigs and patterns for more involved work.

That's pretty much what i want it for as well..that and I'm thinking of trying to build a model ship from scratch.I'll need a way to draw/copy plans and scale them to the size I want to work in.

That's pretty much what i want it for as well..that and I'm thinking of trying to build a model ship from scratch.I'll need a way to draw/copy plans and scale them to the size I want to work in.

Quick tip for you, get the basics between model space and layout tabs, then in modelspace draw Everything at 1:1 Scale and use a viewport in a layout tab set to the scale you want. :thumbsup:

Quick tip for you, get the basics between model space and layout tabs, then in modelspace draw Everything at 1:1 Scale and use a viewport in a layout tab set to the scale you want. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip mate,rite now i'm completely lost.Give me a week or so with the books and that will make sense to me.I can only play with this program early in the morning before work,when I get home its total insanity around here.