Layer Properties Manager does not appear

JamesP

Hello,

I have never used a drafting package before - so I am a complete novice.

I appear to have set something by accident and can't find a way of getting the function back.

When I click on the Layer Properties button in the Layers section of the ribbon, the layers palette does not appear. Instead if I click in the main drawing area I get a table of options. If I then choose the "?" option and press enter I get what looks like a macro programme listing in the AutoCAD text window.

I can't find a way to get back to the Layers Palette.

I have also noticed that the Layer Properties button is larger than the other buttons in that section. Pressing it either switches on or off the drop down layers list. Hope this helps.

What have I done wrong?

Please help as this is preventing good progress on my learning curve.

• 1 month later...

Back in April I posted a question that did not elicit any replies. I still have the problem so here goes again… I hope this time someone can assist.

I appear to have set something by accident and can't find a way of getting the function back.

According to the help files and “AutoCAD for Dummies” When I click on the Layer Properties button in the Layers section of the ribbon, I would expect to get this…

new-2.jpg

I can get the Layer Properties Manager by using the CLASICLAYER command.

However the layers palette does not appear. Instead if I click in the main drawing area I get this…

new-1.jpg

If I then choose the "?" option and press enter I get this…

new-3.jpg

It looks like a macro programme listing in the AutoCAD text window.

What must I do to get the Layers Palette to appear when I press the Layer Properties button?

The same (or similar) thing happens when attempting to get the Dimensions Style Dialogue box.

I look forward to any proposals for correcting this.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for merging the thread - Don't know why I didn't add to the last one in the first place.

The CMDDIA value was set to 1

I tried "0" as well - either way it made no difference.

I have had this same problem.

I delete the saved profiles, and restore the program to original sys install settings.

This takes care of the problem for a few day's at a time.

I would really like to solve this problem completely.

It has happened again today.:x

Edit: I also turn off the auto hide function after system restart.

OK I fixed it.

I did not have any settings that I needed to save - I'm not that advanced so I just uninstalled the programme completely and re installed - Problem solved.

But like Car5858 I would like to know what went wrong and how to put it right without having to take such drastic steps.

Please give it some thought.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

It's gone again!!!!!

After completely re establishing the programme all was working well, but today my ability to open the Layer Properties Manager by clicking on the Layer Properties button in the Layers section of the ribbon has disappeared again.

Please somebody Help.

After Googleing this problem it is apparent from other forums that this is a common problem. Someone must know what causes it and how to fix it.

I have recently opened several files that were originally produced on another drafting programme - not AutoCAD. Could that have any bearing on the matter?

Thanks Cad64,

I had not - but I have now - well I attempted to install Update 1 and 2 but both failed saying they were not designed for the English edition. Update 3 did install. This is for 2009.

Nothing has changed.

I looked at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240857 as recommended by a link at the bottom of the post listings. This related to Map3D but I made the change anyway. Nothing has changed.

The problem continues to exist.

What happens when you type LA or LAYER at the command line. Does this open the layer manager?

What CAD program created the files you opened?

Did the problem start right after opening these files?

Have you installed any new software that may have caused a conflict with Autocad?

What anti-virus software are you using?

When it scans, does it clean your registry also? This can cause problems with Autocad. Make sure you disable registry cleaning, if it is enabled. You will then have to run a repair or reinstall Autocad.

A lot of questions...

Here goes

What happens when you type LA or LAYER at the command line. Does this open the layer manager?

Nothing - see earlier posts although typing CLASICLAYER will not work now but it used to. I still get the list of options and the macro listing.

What CAD program created the files you opened?

Don't know - I have opened at least three different files from three different contributors to my scheme - as far as I know none were AutoCAD. One at least had been edited and added to by two others probably using different packages before I got it.

Did the problem start right after opening these files?

Don't know - probably not. I only noticed it was not working today. During my last two or three sessions I have had no need to use the Layer Properties Manager. Thinking about it, I have been using these non AutoCAD files occasionally when the Layer Properties Manager was working OK. If I have to re-install the programme again I will first re-save the original files as AutoCAD files so that I don't have to re-load the foreign files.

Have you installed any new software that may have caused a conflict with Autocad?

I don't think so. This has happened before and I don't think I could have done the same thing twice several weeks apart - load software I mean

What anti-virus software are you using?

Avast and Zone Alarm. Don't think this is the problem as AutoCAD has been performing correctly for several weeks since I reinstalled it om 8 June.

When it scans, does it clean your registry also? This can cause problems with Autocad. Make sure you disable registry cleaning, if it is enabled. You will then have to run a repair or reinstall Autocad.

No but I do run RegCure every Monday but once again I have run this without it doing damage to AutoCAD

I an not sure this helps. Thank you for taking an interest.

Have you tried to restore the computer to a prior restore point?

I also run reg cure, It has not effected the registory. The registory cleaners supplied with windows sp3 up date and McAfee are the cause of autocad 09 not to function correctly. So far I have not been able to identify which files are effected. Doing the repair option on the add remove program's is the only way to get the program working correctly.

If you are running any anti-spyware programs you will also have the same problems, unless you select AutoCad as a trusted problem.

Thanks for that Car5858.

I will repair or reinstall then check out my registry cleaners and spy ware.

Thanks Cad64 for your input.

I will report back after a few weeks if all is well (or not well).

• 3 weeks later...

When I type LA or layers it does not open Layer Properies Manager. No matter what I do I can not get the Layer Manager to open.

I didn't know CLASSICLAYER was a command.

Is it the same as the LAYERDLGMODE variable? Try setting that to 0, perhaps that might kick some sense into it.

The new floating layer palette introduced in 2009 was and remains a slow and buggy piece of work in 2010, so I keep it on the classic setting instead. I haven't experienced problems this severe though.

• 3 months later...

I had a similar issue. I Installed RegCure and everytime it ran, I lost all my Civil 3D functions. Once I uninstalled RegCure, my CUI (Customized User Interface) was fine.

I also had the same problem with Architecture Desktop, and Civil 3D Land Companion.

Under Vista, click on Control Panel, Uninstall a program, it gives you the option of repairing an install. That worked for me, otherwise would need to re-register the program with Acad.

After reinstalling the program, type CUI in the command line, it will list the "Workspaces".

• 9 months later...

I had an issue with the Layer Properties Manager always having to be closed before I could continue working on a drawing. Changing the variable in LAYERDLGMODE cured that problem. I am sure glad I found this post. I was getting tired of have to do that all the time. I have two screens so it is nice to be able to keep that window open.