Ati VS Nvidia

Nezzae

New to CADTutor:shock:

Yo i have a 7600gt and im gonna replace it.

i was trying to compare the ATI 4890 and the Nvidia gtx 275

but which 1 should i choose : yes quadros and firepros are out of my budget

which card would work better with 3d rendering in autocad and inventor

i think hardware wise the ATI chip may have it due to more ram, but when considering drivers and software compatibility issues i get worried.

So, it would really help if any 1 has cards near these chips and can help me with my decision.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• Nezzae

• dimitris

• Longchamp

I have the HIS 4870 1GB and am running beta drivers under Windows 7 x64. It is running fine and have had no issues at all with my setup.

I personally like Nvidia cards myself, they tend to come out with drivers much quicker than ATI. That being said, I have not kept up with what cards nvidia has out at the moment.

which card would work better with 3d rendering in autocad and inventor

Video cards have nothing to do with rendering. It's all about the processor(s) and RAM.

I have always used Nvidia cards and I've never had any problems with them.

CAD 64, if they don't have anything to do with rendering how is it that some ppl with ATi cards back in 2006 had problems 3d rendering until new drivers where released at the end of the year these cards however where commercial cards.

And yes i do accept that the cpu and ram have a huge roll in renderein and the time it takes.

Also my 8600gt does a better job than my 7600gt when placed in the same config, 8600gt has 512mb ram, 7600gt 256mb

I haven't tried any 3D stuff yet, the 4870 is the 1GB version. I'll update the drivers once Windows 7 is released properly and ATI code some proper drivers for it.

You are talking about the process of rendering out still images, correct? Because the video card doesn't play any part in that process. The people you are talking about were most likely experiencing difficulty with their onscreen display while working, not rendering.

Just share with you my experience.

I'm used Nvidia & ATI before. And the currently the card I using now was ATI. If you want a stable platform (that without giving you all the software or hardware problem) go for Nvidia. If you compare with speed ATI always fastest but also always give you more FATAL ERROR message if you working on large file size (>15mb) and long working hours.

For me, I still prefer Nvidia better.

You are talking about the process of rendering out still images, correct? Because the video card doesn't play any part in that process. The people you are talking about were most likely experiencing difficulty with their onscreen display while working, not rendering.

yes, along with the 3d work for inventor and im considering maya, like 3d modeling of engines.

Hopefully, i can learn to make a moving engine in inventor also.

So what would u all suggest i do? Cuz this is my everyday pc.

Yes it will be used for Cad and Inventor, but i will also be used for gaming and video transcoding.

So what do u recommend i do??

...but i will also be used for gaming....

Well, for this then you will want to get the most bang for your buck. For CAD and Video Encoding, a workstation level all the way if you could. When I went from a $200 gaming card to a $450 workstation, video encoding alone jumped from 90fps to 350fps on some rips and outputs. :)

But, for gaming, get the best you can for your budget. Everything else you want to do will run just fine on a gaming card.

C the thing that i find is that, the workstation cards that are priced similarly 2 the gaming cars don't tend to give u results anywhere as good as the results of the gaming card

C the thing that i find is that, the workstation cards that are priced similarly 2 the gaming cars don't tend to give u results anywhere as good as the results of the gaming card

Well, they are not gaming cards. They have a totally different use. Games take advantage of certain OpenGL extensions meant for gaming. CAD and Video Editing programs take advantage of an entirely different set of OpenGL extensions. Well, not different, but more. Gaming cards aren't equipped with these extensions.

Mostly the same hardware, yes, with minor changes. But specs aren't everything. Google about it if you really would like to know more about it. :)

u miss understood what i was saying, the low level workstation where out performed buy the uper level consumer cards in inventor. specific example my neighbours gtx 260 does a better (faster) jab than his firegl v3600

u miss understood what i was saying, the low level workstation where out performed buy the uper level consumer cards in inventor. specific example my neighbours gtx 260 does a better (faster) jab than his firegl v3600

Sometimes that is the case. That's not uncommon. Also you have to remember, was the certified driver of the workstation card installed? Was hardware acceleration enabled in Inventor? was it the exact same computer specs except the video card? All these things come into play.

But, the lower level workstation cards are pretty much junk anyways. If you're not spending at least a grand then its not worth it as far as performance. However, gaming cards that aren't certified I have seen won't even run a CAD app correctly. Nasty refreshes in the 3D model, snaps won't work correctly, constant need for REGEN's, etc. Sometimes its just a compatibility issue and not necessarily a performance issue.

You're like most people that come on here that don't know much about workstation level graphics.... there's never a justification for it until you have been through enough crap like I have in real world scenarios to finally just give up and spend the cash, and then you appreciate them. :)

But, for your uses, a gaming card will do just fine. Even more than fine. :)

In fact, get the GTX 280. It's a certified card from Autodesk. See here....

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/hc?siteID=123112&id=6711853&linkID=9240618&is_results=1&card_sel=0&manufac=4318&card=0&cert=1&d_stat=1&d_stat=2&prod=AutoCAD-R17.1&prod=AutoCAD-R17.2&prod=AutoCAD-R18.0&os=1&os=256

Thnx man, its not that i dont have the appreciation its that i dont believe right now i have the express need, and i definitely dont have the budget

• 1 month later...

If you're broke, go ATI.

It basically goes like this:

If you want a more expensive card that runs cooler, uses less power, and has better drivers, buy nvidia.

If you want a cheaper card with more raw power, but which runs hotter and has less frequent driver updates, buy ATI.

If you want a more expensive card that runs cooler, uses less power, and has better drivers, buy nvidia.

Last I checked, ATI was the better performer at MUCH less power consumption for the price.