Printing a good quality rendered image??

Sarah B

I would be really grateful for some help with this problem.

I am trying to print an A4 coloured image of my 3DS Max 2009 interior scene. I am quick rendering the image and then saving it as a JPeg. I am then opening the image in Adobe Photoshop. When I check the resolution it is only 72 dpi. When I print the quality is really bad. I have changed the dpi to 300 in Photoshop but it doesn't make a difference.

Should I be changing some of the settings in the 'Render Setup' page to increase the pixel size? If so how?

I have spent 2 days creating my 3DS Max model and I would love to get a high quality professional image out of my printer. PLEASE HELP!

Many thanks in advance. :(

Hi Sarah,

In order to get high quality rendered images, you need to render in high quality, and there are many settings you need to adjust in order to produce print quality images.

What rendering engine are you using?

Can you post some screenshots of your render settings?

Hello,

To be honest I am just clicking on the Render Image setup up button and then clicking the render option at the bottom of the screen. Can you see my screen shot?

Screen Shot.jpg

Have you defined the type of camera you are using? If not, select the camera and go to the "Modify" panel. Under "Parameters", choose your camera. I generally use the 35mm.

Now open your Render Settings dialog. The first thing you need to do is set Mental Ray as your renderer. So, in the "Common" tab, scroll to the bottom and click "Assign Renderer". Then click the little button next to "Production" and choose "Mental Ray Renderer".

Now scroll back up to the "Output Size" section and click the "Custom" button". This will allow you to pick the output size. I generally pick "35mm 1.316:1 Full Aperture" and then I select 2048x1556.

Now go to the "Renderer" tab.

Under "Sampling Quality", "Samples per Pixel" set the Minimum to 4 and the Maximum to 16.

Set the Filter Type to "Mitchell"

These settings will greatly increase your render time, but will give you a much better looking image.

These settings should get you started, but there are many other settings you can play with, including Final Gather and Global Illumination.

Producing high quality, photo-realistic renderings, is an art form unto itself. I would suggest getting a book like "Rendering with Mental Ray & 3DS Max" in order to learn all the in's and out's of Mental Ray and learn about all of the settings and what everything does. It's far too much information to include in a just a few paragraphs here in the forum.

Good luck :thumbsup:

For A4, a graphic designer would probably aim for 300 dots per inch (DPI) to avoid seeing pixels.

A4= 8.27 x 11.69 Inch

8.27 x 300DPI = 2481

11.69 x 300 = 3507

For A4, to print at 300 DPI your resolution needs to be 2481x3507

You may get away with a slightly lower DPI than 300 but that's the resolution I'd choose for a high glossy print.

• 3 years later...

I agree with the above - there's no magic button and it requires a lot of studying to get the best output. But good luck and post back here with specific problems. :)

there is no need to do hand calculations

just utilize the built in print size helper in 3ds Max.

specify paper size

specify DPI

and the render size will be calculated to perfection,

the next choice that defines your printed work is the paper you utilized. if you are going to submit this to a client or as a sample for a company

YOU MUST UTILIZE an elegant glossy paper

because of this i recommend going to a print shop with your images in a non .jpg format.

utilize .png, .bmp, .tif, .tga, just not (.jpg/.jpeg)