Isometric drawing window settings?

aaronasx

I've used ACAD 2006, 2007 for two years whilst studying. now i am using 2009 at home. when i change the window to isometric drawing via

[command]: snap>enter

[command]: style>enter

[command]: Isometric>enter

[command]: vertical spacing>5>enter

the curser changes angle, but when drawing an object the angle of the object is no different from being in standard mode. this is on all three planes (right, left, top). I was just wondering why the objects are not being drawn at a 45 degree angle as shown when looking at a lot of ACAD 2009 books??

need help please? or if i am wrong please correct me? thanks.

You're missing the "I" for isometric I believe. Look at this:

Specify snap spacing or [ON/OFF/Aspect/Style/Type] : s

Enter snap grid style [standard/Isometric] : I

Specify vertical spacing : 1.0

Pressing Enter after the second prompt, Enter snap grid style, will accept the default of Standard . Try again.

I am not being the least bit sarcastic or judgemental when I ask you; did you have any instruction on isometric drawing while in school? I only ask out of curiosity as it is my personal opinion that too many schools are teaching software and not drafting.

still not working. the only way to get the isometric view whilst drawing is to use the SW,SE,NW,NE iso views in the view options.

changing to Isometric via the command line, and by the osnap settings is still not working for me. i've never had this problem before using previous versions, so dont know how to correct it?

aaronasx

I sugest that you read the help files. After reading them I was able to make this dwg with no problem.

Note the settings

I think you may have had Ortho turned on.

iso test.dwg

two snapshots of the drawing window. one in standard and one in isometric. they are both the same. well apart from the grid and curser

CAD 2009 standard.jpg

CAD 2009 Isometric.jpg

two snapshots of the drawing window. one in standard and one in isometric. they are both the same. well apart from the grid and curser

You are confusing 2D isometric drawing with creating 3D objects and viewing them in an iso view. The only way to see your 3d object in an iso view is to use the view command, or use 3DORBIT or 3DFORBIT. It has always been this way in AutoCAD.