Glass Not Transparent

Bill Tillman

Can anyone assist me with this one. I followed the steps in the Mastering AutoCAD 2009 book, chapter 22 as best I could and I got the desired effect with the sample drawings (facade.dwg) which came with the book. But now I'm trying to work on a different project and I cannot get the glass to become transparent so one could see the ceiling lights inside the building.

The material in the glass layer is what I'm trying to work with. It needs to have a bronze tint but allow the transmission of light through it.

Storefront(1).dwg

You can change Opacity to a low number like 2 or 3 just so you can see it, and change color in materials box to give it the bronze tint you need. This is what i do so i can see the glas in my drawing when rendered it is looks good just play with it and you will find the right number.

glass help.JPG

no, as long as you set material to be glass clear in template, it sets everything for it, but to see the glass in drawing you can alter the opacity setting just so it is visible in drawing.

glass 2.JPG

I finally got what I wanted but had to set the opacity of the glass material to zero.

The reason I call this a trouble spot is that just a few days ago when I worked through the exercise from the Mastering AutoCAD 2009, Chapter 22, I set the opacity of Clear Glass material to 13 and it worked fine.

The trouble is that most of the stuff I've read don't really explain in depth how to make transparent materials. There are so many contributing factors that control how your rendering will turnout that it becomes trial and error. And what worked great on one drawing will not necessarily work on your next drawings.

Hey fri,

I already check your drawing!

1.you need to change value your glass material refraction index:1.5

At that time you will see your material preview with transparently!

2.you need to reduce opacity value 13 to 3!

3...this is important part..you must turn on GI&FG from your

rendering setting & increase sun intensity 1 to 1.3 or 1.5!

If you will not turn on GI &FG,you will loss illumination of material

behind the glass!At that time..shadow will cover ceiling lights!

I made your dwg according above tips!

Storefront(1).dwg

Thanks for the useful advice. When I set the opacity to zero the glass still retained it's bronze tint, which is what I wanted. I am not aware of the GI & FG and other settings you described. I will check into those right away and see what's up.

The last rendering I did with the settings I used was sent to my client in NYC several days ago. There's not much detail in this because so little information was provided to me about the rest of the facade but the attached jpg shows how it came out. The ceiling lights show up as intended and the glass has a much better transparent look to it. I'm still playing around with this and getting the glass right is most of what I need to work on as I'm in the glass business, when I'm employed that is...!

Thanks again for the pointers.

Bronze(8).jpg

Bill,

One thing that I've done lately is to have 2 glass types. 1 for the flat surface and 1 for the edges. It is more work but gives far better realistic images. -David

glasedge.jpg

• 2 months later...
Bill,

One thing that I've done lately is to have 2 glass types. 1 for the flat surface and 1 for the edges. It is more work but gives far better realistic images. -David

Hm, nice glass render!

I'm kinda trying this out now myself and wonder if you could give a little describe on how your steps are to make your glass look like it does? :)

I've manage to create the easiest as described by others earlier in this thread but I'm really new to all this kind of more advanced material editing.