• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Car5858

• mivshekwyo

• curley33

• Tiger

in the structrual drawing project i have done the first part with the beams and i think there right. the second part iam just having trouble visualizing how the footings and the siding along with the gutter look like. i just sketch it but not sure how it all fits together. thanks

Mivshekwyo - please don't ask the same question in more than one thread, you'll get the best answer this forum can get you anway.

man that is some nice work. hate to be bother but do you have the drawings for the penn foster projects at the end that i could get an idea of what iam doing. new at this took the autocad class for the company but iam running out of time and i think i could draw it on autocad if i had a visual. thanks

I also had problems with the discreption.

Have you read the project book completly? There is additional information givin later in the booklet.

I broke the instructions into steps. As you complete each step on a sketch check it off on the booklet.

The placement of the corner pillers determines the slab size.

First sketch the footing. Then place the footing key in the correct position. I used a 2"x4" rectangle centered at the top of the footing. The key will protrude into the footing.

Draw the piller. Remember that there are 2 different shapes. One for the corner positions the other applies to the rest of the pillers.

Draw the drain as a 4" circle, center the drain 5" above the footing and to the left of the piller. This will give you the 3" clearance requirement.

When you draw them in the program make blocks from the pillers and footing's then insert the blocks. Don't forget the drain on the east side of the elevation drawing.

hey thanks for the info car5858, but i'am still confused. so in the south elevation plate 2 you draw everything it says all the details about the siding , the steel plate, and so on. so use the foundatin plan drawing and just keep adding to it. also the details sections i don't get what they want. are these drawings just simple basic am i looking at this do deep. i tryed breaking it down but iam have a tough time. thanks

i'am not asking for someone to give me there drawings of this project, but i dont have a degree, just learning auto cad at work(the mining business not archeticture) so the penn foster booklet is just confusing to me. i dont understand there wording it makes no sense, so other than asking for some sketches of something i'am at a loss. sorry if a hurt someones feelings.

hey thanks for the info car5858, but i'am still confused.

Some times it helps to step away from the drawing for a couple of hrs.

so in the south elevation plate 2 you draw everything it says all the details about the siding , the steel plate, and so on.

Yes they are required elements of drawing.

so use the foundatin plan drawing and just keep adding to it.

I used the foundation drawing to setup plate 2. Remember to save as Plate 2. This will help you locate the footings columns quickly. After you have drawn the finish elevation line draw the other referance lines at the distance stated in tthe instructions.

also the details sections i don't get what they want. are these drawings just simple basic am i looking at this do deep.

The details are enlarged section's of the attachment of the girders and poured in place concrete.

i tryed breaking it down but iam have a tough time. thanks

I also had a hard time with this project. Called the school many times with questions. I also started the drawings over a few times.

The drawings are designed to get you to use the info that was presented in the Textbook. You will do fine, after you get confidance in what your doing. I found that by questioning everything and reading over the instructions many times helped me.

hey car5858 hows it going. hey couple of questions. on the south elevation part do you show the key ways in the footings or will that be later in a detail. also what does it mean when it says the concrete angles away from the pillars at the 45 degree angle for a vertical and horizontal distance of 6". so the corners are different but the same height but the concrete angles going inward on the pillars like a conehead shape. i guess thats all for now. thanks.

hey car5858 hows it going. hey couple of questions. on the south elevation part do you show the key ways in the footings or will that be later in a detail.

Yes, Page 11 paragraph 2 in the instructions line 1. The footing size is listed on page 8 bullet 5 "16 x 32 x 32. The keyway is an end view in this drawing, inset into the footing.

also what does it mean when it says the concrete angles away from the pillars at the 45 degree angle for a vertical and horizontal distance of 6". so the corners are different but the same height but the concrete angles going inward on the pillars like a conehead shape. i guess thats all for now. thanks.

I think that you have misread the instructions. The pillers are 16" wide (page 11 bullet 2) and 4' high measured from the footing. At the 4' height the concrete angles at 45 degree's for a vertical and horziontal distance of 6". This gives the total height of the piller 4'-6". Now add 12" (6" each side) to the width of the piller. 28" right?

Draw a center construction line for the piller. Next draw the footing centered on the center line. There should be 4'-6" of the center line above the footing. Use the offset command to offset the centerline 8" to each side. Use the line command to draw a line across the top of the piller. Start the line command again with the end point snap and marker enabled. Turn ortho on and hover over the top west side corner of the piller. Move the mouse pointer to the left slightly, with the Dynamic input on type 6" press enter draw the end point at the top left corner of the piller.

Use the offset command and offset the line you just drew 6" toward the footing. This gives you the location for the 45 degree angle. Using the line command draw a line from the western most end point to the offset line at the intersection of the piller. This gives you the correct line and angle. Trim the piller vertical line to the 45 degree line. Erase the 6" horizontal offset line at the base of the 45 degree angle. Use the join command to join the line's at the top of the piller.

Now do the same thing for the other side (east side) of the piller.

There are many different way's to draw this and obtain the same results. One is using the offset line command, others include the rotate cmd trim and extend cmd ect. ect.

Hope this helps.

yes this helps and seem to be working. like you say with autocad theres many ways to do the same thing. ok on the next part section a plate 3 you basically use the previous drawing but like take off the siding and the door and show a little more detail of the roof and whats between the first and second floor. then on section b plate 4 use the sections a drawing. what does it mean for sure when it says you'll see the cross section of the channel beam instead of the flat side of the beam. how i'am not to much of a bother i sure do appreciate all this help this is kinda kicken my butt but it slowly getting better. thanks again.

yes this helps and seem to be working. like you say with autocad theres many ways to do the same thing. ok on the next part section a plate 3 you basically use the previous drawing but like take off the siding and the door and show a little more detail of the roof and whats between the first and second floor.

Yes, this is in the instructions on page 14

then on section b plate 4 use the sections a drawing. what does it mean for sure when it says you'll see the cross section of the channel beam instead of the flat side of the beam.

Think of the end view of the beam, it looks like an "I". The first drawing has this symbol representing the columns. The girders are the same shape but you will be looking at the "I"

Ask yourself this, If I were standing on the east end of the building looking west what details would I see?

You will have to do the same for the channel supporting the pored in place concrete floor.

how i'am not to much of a bother i sure do appreciate all this help this is kinda kicken my butt but it slowly getting better. thanks again.

It's not a bother, understanding the instruction's is tough, and it dosen't get easier as you progress to the next set of drawings. Once this first drawing project is completed you will have more confidance in what you have learned and will be able to work faster.

ok thanks for the info starting to make more sense. i will keep working and talk to ya later when i get this stuff done. thanks again.

ok thanks for the info starting to make more sense. i will keep working and talk to ya later when i get this stuff done. thanks again.

Take your time with the drawing and reread the instruction's as often as needed. When I did this drawing project it took me a month.:oops:

After I understood the instructions it went alot better. Don't forget to triple check your work line by line with the instructions.

Good Luck

• 6 months later...
I made 100 on mine.

What problem are you having?

hello car5858' i,m working on a project called the olsen villige from penn foster school' i'm stuck and in need of help can you help me ?

hello car5858' i,m working on a project called the olsen villige from penn foster school' i'm stuck and in need of help can you help me ?

What are you having problems with?

• 7 months later...

Hello -

I am having issues with completing both transition pieces in the HVAC Project. I have attached the project document. I was able to complete Plate 1, but I am stuck on both Plate's 2 & 3. I was able to get both the top & front views of each, but am stuck attempting to create the development patterns & finding true length of the lines. They attempt to explain how to do this in the material, but it is too vague and does not help. I tried to google search the topic and so far can't find decent instructions for finding true length. Does anyone have an easy way to describe finding true length?

Thanks!

HVAC Plate 3.dwg

HVAC Project.pdf