Create a shape file

Mr.Alex

Hi,

Is it possible to create shape files (.shp) of objects that I've drawn in AutoCAD for users of GIS software to import? Such as a site boundary?

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks both.

Sounds like a job for AutoCAD Map to be honest

I was wondering that.

There are two situations I've been asked for one. Firstly by a GIS user. They wanted to import some of the objects I'd drawn, but they were able to use a dxf in the end.

The other is for ordering aerial photos online. With the website I've been using, you can load up a .shp file of the site boundary, and they'll provide an aerial photo to match. Not essential, but might be quite handy if it was easy to do.

Just to clarify the generic SHP file used by Autocad is different to shp used by GIS to confuse totally Autocad map reads and writes GIS shape files these can contain an immense amount of info bit like a DXF, where as the autocad SHP is normally a definition of pen strokes to create text or object.

Hi,

Is it possible to create shape files (.shp) of objects that I've drawn in AutoCAD for users of GIS software to import? Such as a site boundary?

You will need AutoCAD Map or some other add-on.

If you just have vanilla AutoCAD, http://www.dotsoft.com makes an inexpensive import/export tool. See http://www.dotsoft.com/shapeio.htm for more info. [Not affiliated, just a satisfied user... :-) ]

If the GIS user is using ESRI ArcGIS, it can improt DWG files directly and convert them to SHP files.

I cannot speak for the other GIS programs though...