Solidworks Literature

exo600

Can anybody recomend a good book to learn solidworks from? I was taking classes but had to stop due to certain circumstances.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• exo600

• shift1313

• stevsmith

You're entirely welcomed exo600. :)

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you. In the meantime, keep it real dude. Peace out.

Can't help myself.

Take a look at Matt Lombard's series of books about Solidworks. For example there is his Solidworks 2009 Bible.

What version of Solidworks are you using anyway? Professor Mather should be able to recommend a good reference book.

Don't ask me why but Matt Lombard didn't publish a "Bible" for Solidworks 2008 (although Amazon has the 2007 and 2009 versions). However, he did put out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/SolidWorks-Surfacing-Complex-Shape-Modeling/dp/0470258233/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245323147&sr=1-2

Not a bad price either. Give it a look-see.

If you look through the link he posted to JDMathers site he has a few. There are also a lot of tutorials built into SW. I know for a fact there are a few on surface modeling. Just go to Help>Tutorials.

I wouldnt jump into surface modeling without more basic knowledge of the software. Start with the Getting Started and Building Models tutorials built into your Software.

There should be a tab that says list all Tutorials. There are two on 3d sketching, Lofts, Mold Design, Molded Product Design(advanced) as well as one called Surfaces.

• 1 year later...

excellent book for beginners

Official Certified

SolidWorks Associate (CSWA)

Examination Guide

Edited by Tiger
removed link

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I start to learn SW and i have installed 2008. As i would like to buy a book in local book shop they only have 2009 version.

Is 2009 version much different than 2008 (i find most good tutorials in 2009)!?

Other question is about service pack. I have SP0. Do i need newer SP?

I don't recall a big difference between 2008 and 2009, but if the book includes files - the 2009 files cannot be opened in 2008, so that would be a problem.

I think you have to be on Subscription to have access to the Service Packs.

You do have to be on subscription for the SP updates and im not sure how far back they go. If you have a current subscription chances are you wouldnt be running 08.

Before you get a book I would start with all the built in help files that solidworks provides. There is very little difference between 08 and 09 with the majority of solidworks. Anything you run into with regards to basic modeling will be the same. As JD mentioned you can't open 2009 files though.

Don't ask me why but Matt Lombard didn't publish a "Bible" for Solidworks 2008 (although Amazon has the 2007 and 2009 versions). However, he did put out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/SolidWorks-Surfacing-Complex-Shape-Modeling/dp/0470258233/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245323147&sr=1-2

Not a bad price either. Give it a look-see.

I have this book, it's very useful, although you do need a competent knowledge and understanding of Solidworks to get any major benefit from it.

i wouldn't say that it is a book for beginners.