Offsetting

MisterJingles

Hi guys

Is it possible to offset an object a specific distance from the edge of an XREF?

The way Im doing it is to draw a line along the edge of the XREF drawing then offset another line to a set distance and then move my object to that new line. This is obviously doesnt allow me to be accurate enough and surely is a long way around.

Any help please?

Many thanks

Rob

I dont think so mate. Only other way would be to do an NCOPY the edge of the xref, then track the edge and futher then select the offset distance. Thats how i use to do it anyways :P

Z

Unfortunately Im using LT which doesnt support the NCOPY command so Im back to square 1. Thanks Mr Z.

Was kinda embarassing when my boss sat down to do this with me and thats the way I was doing it. Will feel much better to know there is no other way ;)

If you have Polar Tracking and OSnap running, you can start the Move command, pick the base point, mouse over and Endpoint or a Midpoint at the edge of the X-ref, move the mouse slowly and straight in the direction you want and then type in the distance that you want it away from the edge. You'll notice the Polar Tracking lines show up to show you where the distance is calculated from.

If you have Polar Tracking and OSnap running, you can start the Move command, pick the base point, mouse over and Endpoint or a Midpoint at the edge of the X-ref, move the mouse slowly and straight in the direction you want and then type in the distance that you want it away from the edge. You'll notice the Polar Tracking lines show up to show you where the distance is calculated from.

If the object is already on the edge then the move command is all that is needed. I am not sure how you are getting the object to move relative to the edge and not its location. I would like to understand how you make that work. Thanks.