MOVING THE BASE POINT/ INSERTION POINT

nwmjdp

Currently, I have the base or insertion point of some of my blocks in an undesirable spot and I would like to move it. When I insert a drawing or block I have difficulty in placement due to a poor choice in the drawing or block I am trying to insert. Any help would be great.

My suggestion would be to open the blocks file and select all in this file.

Now go to MAKE BLOCK command

In here you can specify the base point and also what objects to make into this block.

Hope you can understand this

There are several ways....

1. Open library file (drawing file of block) and type base and pick desired point for insertion.

2. Open library file (drawing file of block) select everything and move using desired point as base move to 0,0,0 and type insbase and then 0,0,0

Remember that when you open a drawing with old bocks they will have to be redefined.

• 6 years later...

I found that when you have one drawing with multiple blocks, that going into the block and adding a Base Point worked best for me right now. just another option.

Wow, we're resurrecting a thread from 2005. I think we have a winner.

There's always the INSBASE command too if it is just a few blocks.

The very best in changing block insertion is a program by Lee MAC at

http://www.lee-mac.com/lisp/ChangeBlockInsertionV1-3.lsp

This program allows the user to quickly change the insertion point (base point) of a block definition in a drawing.

The user is prompted to select a block to use as a reference, then select a new base point relative to the selected block. The block definition will subsequently be modified to reflect the new base point.

Should the selected block be attributed, an ATTSYNC operation will also be performed to ensure attributes are in the correct positions relative to the new base point.

Finally, the active viewport is regenerated to reflect the changes throughout all references of the block.

Note also that the program will work in all UCS/Views, and on rotated/scaled blocks.

There are two modes of operation depending upon whether the user wishes to retain the block position, or the coordinates of the block reference insertion point. CBI will retain insertion point coordinates, hence visually, the block components will move around this point; whereas CBIR will retain the positions of the block components themselves, therefore shifting the position of the block reference insertion point to suit.

1. Create a AUTOLISP folder in your C: drive and unzip the content of the zip file there.

2. run CUI in Autocad

3. in the first top-left window, you right click on LISP file and LOAD LISP, go the Autolisp folder and the Lisp File by Lee Mac

4. Apply and Close

5. Run CBIR, Choose a Block, Choose New Base Point. The blocks remain in their location but the base point is changed.

Hope this help.