Tips for Making my own Site?

Lee Mac

It's horses for courses. But as this is Lee's website and he's a coder, I kind of assume that he'll care about all that stuff. How likely is it that Lee would want to write a verbose and ineficient LISP routine? To the user it makes little difference - who's going to notice the extra milliseconds? But there is a beauty and satisfaction in creating good code. It's the same with web design IMHO.

Very true David, but I can also see it from Rod's view as well.

I'm in two minds at the moment: I'm desperately looking for a job for the summer (preferably in LISP programming and the like), and so I wanted to get the website up and running ASAP - this makes me turn to a quick Dreamweaver job....but... yes, you are correct David - I love the beauty of good code and it would bug me to know that my website is full of lousy coding... this of course points me to learning it properly.

But, on top of this - after searching and searching for a job programming in LISP, I tend to get the feeling that most companies are wanting competence in C++ and lower level languages, so I am also trying to get stuck into that. Let alone all the worries I have about my Maths Degree which takes a hell of a lot of work...

Now you can see my predicament...

But thanks guys,

Lee

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• CADTutor

• tzframpton

• Cad64

It's horses for courses. But as this is Lee's website and he's a coder, I kind of assume that he'll care about all that stuff. How likely is it that Lee would want to write a verbose and ineficient LISP routine? To the user it makes little difference - who's going to notice the extra milliseconds? But there is a beauty and satisfaction in creating good code. It's the same with web design IMHO.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. Lee is the type of guy that enjoys writing code, so I'm sure he would enjoy building his site from the ground up. But not all of us share that type of enthusiasm for coding. And I think you could have made your point just as eloquently without insulting and ridiculing those of us amateurs that use programs like Dreamweaver for our own personal sites.

But as you said, horses for courses. I will bow out of this thread and leave web design to those more knowledgeable than I. :wink:

I'm in two minds at the moment: I'm desperately looking for a job for the summer (preferably in LISP programming and the like), and so I wanted to get the website up and running ASAP...

In which case I go back to my original suggestion: just download and install WordPress. A well coded, instant website without any coding.

Later, when you have more time, look into web design coding.

Wow, David, a little harsh. Tables are the very basic of sites. I do not use tables hardly at all anymore, but I recommend everyone give it a shot before diving into CSS. Crawl before you walk.

It may seem a little harsh but suggesting that someone use tables for layout of a webpage because it's easier for beginners is analagous to suggesting that AutoCAD beginners forget about layers and just use colour by object until they get more experience - it's a fundamental issue.

HTML is a semantic markup language and tables are for tabular data. Moreover, all presentational elements should be removed from markup and only CSS should be used to describe the way things look - including page layout.

*climbs down off high horse* :wink:

In which case I go back to my original suggestion: just download and install WordPress. A well coded, instant website without any coding.

Later, when you have more time, look into web design coding.

Ok, thanks again for the continued support - I apologise if I have created a rift between you and Rod. :wink:

Lee

It may seem a little harsh but suggesting that someone use tables for layout of a webpage because it's easier for beginners is analagous to suggesting that AutoCAD beginners forget about layers and just use colour by object until they get more experience - it's a fundamental issue.

Using color by object is something that needs to be learned too, though. As simple as it is, it needs to be known. And IMHO so do Tables in HTML.

Granted, HTML is extremely simple. You could teach anyone basic HTML in an hour. I just told him where to start. CSS and Layouts can come later, which by later I mean very soon. He'll get it. His code in LISP is proof that he'll figure it out very quickly. :)

I apologise if I have created a rift between you and Rod.

I suspect it would take rather more than a difference of opinion over web design to cause a rift. Well, I HOPE that's the case :unsure:

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

you can learn everything you need from w3schools.com

If you want something cheap go with a template. If you are looking to not mess with code at all, get wordpress, drupal, or joomla template. They cost about $60 or so.

if you need more help, hit me up at www.funkyfreshmedia.com Its my specialty!

• 1 month later...

If you are really serious about advertising your product and want it done well, you are going to need to hire a web designer. If you want to handle it yourself you are going to have to learn a lot about web design and several different technologies before you can get what you want.

To answer your photo question, you will need to resize them and perhaps use a higher level of compression to get the file size down. 1024 x 768 is the maximum resolution for most photos, but really you should resize them to be no larger than the size you want them to fit in.

If you want good quality on your images, don't drop the quality on the JPEG compression below 60% unless you really need the reduction.

• 4 months later...

I can suggest a few things. I know a bit about this--I have nerdy friends. You can outright buy your own domain and that's fairly cheap, but it's not going to show you how to design anything. I would suggest Goddard or Homestead. I would also suggest you use something like Dreamweaver to design the site. Homestead has it's own designing suite, but I think that costs extra. Also, knowing a little HTML will help you a lot.

Edited by Tiger
removed links

Hi guys,

This thread is quite old - I now have my site online (link in my sig). I ended up spending a weekend learning HTML/CSS and writing the site from scratch :)

Thanks for the tips though!

Lee