OPEN / SAVE / NEW DIALOG BOX MISSING

Guest VALAH

Dear fellows,

In AutoCad 2006, when I want to open a new or existing drawing or template, instead of regular dialog box I receive only a prompter dialog which is present in the command line also, asking me for the name of the drawing that I want to open; it is the case also when I want to save a drawing too. I already checked the "Options" under the "Open and Save" tab and everything looks to be in order. How can I resolve this bothering problem since I am able to perform the above tasks only accessing "Windows explorer"?

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

VALAH

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADnoobi

• SLW210

• DANIEL

• Dommy2Hotty

FILEDIA is the correct variable. Should be turned on to get the dialog. 1 = ON, 0 = OFF.

Also, if you're faced with that, the ~ will force the dialog so you can finish the open command and then turn filedia on. Here's a quick look:

Command: FILEDIA

Enter new value for FILEDIA <0>: 1

Command: OPEN
//^---Open dialog shows
Command: FILEDIA

Enter new value for FILEDIA <1>: 0

Command: OPEN

Enter name of drawing to open 
<D:\ASE\RAFB\0429_GAI3B-TT457\A1-4-TT457-PLAN.dwg>: ~
//^---entering the ~ for the file name will force the dialog so you can finish the command

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

controls the display of dialog boxes used with commands that read and write files. For example, if FILEDIA is set to 1, saveas displays the Save Drawing As dialog box. If FILEDIA is set to 0, SAVEAS displays prompts on the command line. The procedures in this documentation assume that FILEDIA is set to 1. Even when FILEDIA is set to 0, you can display a file dialog box by entering a tilde (~) at the first prompt.

• 2 months later...

FILEDIA, PICKADD and PICKFIRST seem to be the route of many curious problems..... but how come they get changed when the OP has never heard of them?

FILEDIA, PICKADD and PICKFIRST seem to be the route of many curious problems..... but how come they get changed when the OP has never heard of them?

thats a good question

They can be changed by poorly written lisp routines that fail to reset system variables upon completing whatever task they were designed to do.

Third party apps and even AutoCAD commands that are not set up to restore Variables to their previous settings when cancelled.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

AutoCAD MEP 2010. I have set attdia,filedia and cmddia all to 1. My dialogue boxes will still not come up when I type on the command line. For example, I type "xref" and I get prompts in the command line versus the dialogue box popping up. The same for "layer" and "linetype". Oh and my ~ response to the first prompt does not bring up the dialogue box either.

I saw in ACAD help that this may be related to AutoLISP. However, I know nothing about AutoLISP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Close AutoCAD, then restart with a different profile or new profile. Does it work now?

Start AutoCAD with a new profile (copy the shortcut on the desktop, right click on shortcut, go to Shortcut tab, in the Target line after the first statement in quotes you may have a /p profile_name, over write that if it is there with /p newprofile (pick any name that doesn't already exist in your profile folder), and if you don't have a /p profile_name then simply add the /p newprofile to that line. Pick ok, then double click on the icon, AutoCAD will start with the new clean profile, open a drawing and see if you have the same trouble.

Ok I was able to do that, it made a new profile. I made sure all of the variables were set to 1. The problem is still there.

Yes, I have two monitors. However, the prompts continue to come up in the command line [?/Bind/Detach/Path/Unload/Reload/Overlay/Attach] so I don't think that I have a missing window, but maybe.