Font file is not on the list

When I used Style command and try to find font called OUTLINE but I didn't see that name on the list. I put that font file at the location in Support File Search Path. Anyone knows how to solve this problem? Thank you in advance.

As a test I copied Simplex.shx and renamed it TestFont.shx then placed it in C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2009\Fonts. I opened AutoCAD, typed in Style at the command line. This brought up the Text Style dialog box. I checked under Font Name, found the file and set it as Current. Not sure what you might be doing differently.

Just a note. I also tested a fake font style. I opened Notepad, wrote two lines of nonsense and saved it as BogusText.shx. I followed the same steps as mentioned above. Guess what? AutoCAD apparently did not recognize it as a legitimate shx file and refused to list it.

this problem on one computer. I tried everything and that computer still have the same problem. I even had AutoCAD reinstalled, but the problem never goes away.

Yes I have and the font files stored on a network drive. I tried your theory (copy and rename) it doesn't work for me. I will restart the computer to see if it will work or not.

Just a note. I also tested a fake font style. I opened Notepad, wrote two lines of nonsense and saved it as BogusText.shx. I followed the same steps as mentioned above. Guess what? AutoCAD apparently did not recognize it as a legitimate shx file and refused to list it.

I have had similar problems with SHX type text.

But, Iffn' you go back some in the M-S handbook it mentions to limit file names to EIGHT characters, not NINE as you have noted. Shorten up the file type name and see if it can't then be found.

Yes, you can use long honking titles to files, but that don't mean Acad will find them either.

Wm.

Coos:

I don't think that applies any longer. A search of the Fonts folder for 2009 lists these two files: AMDTsymbols.shx and @extfont2.shx. Both exceed the eight characters you mention. I also encountered non-AutoCAD fonts with names longer than eight characters.

I tried on my computer I have no problem. Just like I said before, only that one computer. I don't know how to fix it anymore. I reinstalled AutoCAD, but it didn't solve the problem. I know the fonts file is in the search path, in document/setting support, and also in Program files/AutoCad 2008. Where else should I put that font? Should I give up?

One computer can't find the file either on the network or on the hard drive? That's just weird. If the problem were confined to the network then I would say it is an error in the path statement. But the path to the hard drive is usually established by AutoCAD when the program is installed. It is pretty much a standard location.

I'm stumped. You've put the file in all the correct "normal" locations. Short of placing the file in the working directory of the drawings themselves I cannot think of another folder that would make any sense.

How is this computer different from all the others used in the office for CAD besides this one quirk? It's like it has a mental block when it comes to seeing this font file.

One computer can't find the file either on the network or on the hard drive? That's just weird. If the problem were confined to the network then I would say it is an error in the path statement. But the path to the hard drive is usually established by AutoCAD when the program is installed. It is pretty much a standard location.

I'm stumped. You've put the file in all the correct "normal" locations. Short of placing the file in the working directory of the drawings themselves I cannot think of another folder that would make any sense.

How is this computer different from all the others used in the office for CAD besides this one quirk? It's like it has a mental block when it comes to seeing this font file.

Only thing I can remeber at this point was that the problem of not finding a file goes deeper and more simpler, like at M-S level. There seems to a finding and file using problem with 16 bit, 32 bit, and 64 bit hard drives. (One of my geek friends who always buys the latest, told me about this a year or two ago). The hard drive's will accept one another's work but not to share anything. I run here mainly on the 16 bit system. and it make take up more space on the hard drive, but understands old and new. Cannot say that about more modern stuff. To transferr a file from a 16 bit hard drive to a 32 bit one, sometimes means I have to delete the original name, then load on the 16 bit version (taking time and steps). If going the opposite way, no problem. Otherwise a file will be created, but Zero information inside, and then Windows refuses to see any directory with zero information inside.

Something has all to do with how M-S set up the hard drive originally when it was formatted. May be faster now, but if I cannot communicate to certain files, then the whole day is lost.

You may be looking at this too hard.

Wm.

Coos...

I don't know much about the things you said. I'm just a cad user and know a little bit how to solve some problems within AutoCAD. Thanks for your info though.

Coos...

I don't know much about the things you said. I'm just a cad user and know a little bit how to solve some problems within AutoCAD. Thanks for your info though.

I got the warning via some Los Angeles based radio talk show host, who mentioned the option when Windows 95 came onto the market. He mentioned the dual situation that was introduced with 95 to save about 30% of hard drive capacity. The host also mentioned how certain softwares such as Aldus Pagemaker, C Plus, and perhaps Autocad would then not understand the format. But then, who cares, for the listeners do not use such on their office or home computer. They can pay some IT Geek to resolve it al for them is it happens. Iff'n you were to load up, format your hard drive, the new M-S software installation would assign the alotted space on hard drive to new segments. Took me more than a decade to come upon the problem, and wish I would have a tape recording of the circumstances, and the solution.

Wm.

Coos:

You must be referring to the difference between FAT16 (16-bit) and FAT32 (32-bit). There was an interim VFAT (a pseudo 32-bit) but this was done away with when Windows 95 OSR2 came out. Unless Polly's coworker is on a fairly old computer (pre-Windows 95 OSR2) I doubt very much it is a 16-bit vs. 32-bit problem.

Systems using a file allocation system based upon 16-bit did indeed have a problem with file names longer than 8 characters. I know, as many other do, the creative lengths one had to go through to come up with descriptive file names. I have many of those old files (in the form of AutoCAD drawings) still on my computer.

Remark is right. There is no problem with the long file name these days and I don't think that is the problem my coworker has. I tried the other trick. I logon as myself on the other computer and somehow (I don't know what I did) ACAD see the outline.shx. hooray!!!! I thought the problem solved, but nooooo..... I have another problem. when I start AutoCAD it will ask me for FONTALT (dialog box) I can choose any Windows fonts, but none of the ACAD fonts except OUTLINE.SHX. After I'm in AutoCAD I type FONTALT and be able to change to any of ACAD fonts. Now I have to wait until my friend comes in and have she logon to see if she has the same problem that I have or now. I will let you guys know the outcome. I think she needs a new computer.

My friend is still having the problem. This time ouline.shx is on the list, but the preview in style dialog box show the outline text as simplex. I believe it might have to do with some setting, but I don't know what setting. Any idea?

yes I did. on the text style dialog box on my computer show what outline text should look like correctly, but hers doesn't.