Can I get the linetype text file from imported linetypes?

As per title.

So I can see how people have created imported linetypes. I want to see if they've used any particular standard or if they're a bit haphazard.

You want to be able to look at the linetype definition file? And these linetypes may have been included in a drawing from an outside source?

Yes, from an outside source.

I'm trying to create a standard set of linetypes to perhaps use within my company and that I could give to any other parties that we deal with.

Currently I don't see why any other parties wouldn't find these useful to adopt as they all work at linetype scale 1, but I'd like to investigate how some of their linetypes have been created to see if there's a reason why their linetypes are not all in proportion to each other at linetype scale 1.

I knew this question came up at least once before. I think I may have found an answer for you. Actually, the following advice should be credited to Forum Deity lpseifert.

Once a linetype is loaded into a .dwg, it is part of the .dwg file; Autocad does not need to read an outside file (unless it is a complex linetype that uses shapes).

If you want to extract a linetype definition to a .lin file, here are a couple of sources:

To-lin.lsp

LinOut.lsp

Hope this helps you accomplish the task.

Please let us know what you ended up trying and whether or not it worked to your satisfaction. The information may prove useful to others. Thank you.

TO-LIN.LSP works with ACAD 2009, it creates a separate.lin file in the default location with a definition for the linetype you named during the lisp routine.

Yes, it did what I wanted. I can now detimine whether a custom linetype from an external source has been created by editing an imperial or metric .lin file or whether they have adopted their own standard.

This doesn't appear to work anymore. I get the message:

Command: TO-LIN

LineType to retrieve: FENCELINE2

; error: bad argument value: positive 0

It still puts the top line in the .lin text file but not the second one that defines the linetype.

Ouch! Jeez spittle I'm not sure what to tell you. How many times did you use the routine before it bombed out? Has it worked since you encountered FENCELINE2 on any other custom linetype?

I used it when I replied saying it worked. then since I've tried it a few times on a few different drawings without success. To be fair I think the lisp was designed for ACAD 2000.