Automatic slicing possible?

pvd

Hallo guys,

I've a construction beam and I wanna section it every meter. Is this possible in an easy way or do I always have to edit my section-sketch: project some geometry and then dimension it 1m, 2m, 3m etc....i'm talking about 25m so...

Thank you very much

what are you trying to achieve with the end result. There are many ways to get what you are after. One way would be to draw one section and do a pattern.

Well, I've to draw a plan of a beam and I've to section it every meter cause geometry is a little confusing. In total I have to put 37 section views on my plan. I tried the pattern-thing you suggested, but if I make a pattern of my section line (in sketch mode I presume?), the sections do not come automatically along and If I make another section, my pattern sketch isn't visible anymore. Once I will reach this, my next question will be: is there a way to put these sections nicely alined next to eachother, cause now I'm placing them by hand and that's probably not the real way to do it right? Thanks for your help.

well i meant instead of doing a pattern of the slice(say a beam 37ft long with a slice at 1ft increments) you draw your beam 1ft long and pattern that 37 times.

When using the pattern you can pattern an entity like a line or you can pattern features like a cut, slice etc.

also as a note when you use your sketch lines for something and the sketch dissapears, you can turn visibility back on by expanding the feature on the model tree, right click and select visibility.

Shift,

Forgive me my stupidity but I still don't understand what you mean. I'm working in an idw and I'm making these sections from my Drawing Views Panel. My beam is not symmetric and sections are constantly changing (it's a real pain in the #ss !?!) so I don't think I can pattern 1ft to the total length, right? I was hoping it would be possible to pattern my section line as I understood the first time but unfortunately that doesn't work. Rightnow I'm making my sections one by one but I hope there's a better way to do if I have to do this again in the future.

Thanks for your advice.

i see what you are saying now. When you said beam i just assumed it was something that was extruded and the same for the length. If you only need these slices for your drawing purposes to put numbers on the page you may want to use the SPLIT tool. This creates a split line. I use these to split holes in half for FEA but it should work the same for you. Create a 2d sketch and draw a single line where you want your first split to be. Extrude(thin feature) that line using the bottom of your beam as the TO for your distance(not really needed). Now use the Split tool, select the extruded surface as your split tool and then select the top face of your beam for the Face. This will not alter the model but create a split line on the face. Now you can do a linear pattern of the extruded surface but i dont know that IV can pattern the split feature. I cant on IV11 but 2009 or 2010 might be able to do this now(dont have those at work). In the screen shot you can see my beam with the cursor over the top face and you can see the red area. This is the top face up to the first split line. In the second pic you can see my idw with a shaded view and hidden line, neither of which show a slice line but i can use it for dimensions.

IVSplitLine.jpg

IVSplitLine2.jpg

thanks for the effort to show me what you mean, shift. I haven't tried it yet as i'm working on something else but soon I will again and then I'll try to head it this way. Cheers!