dimensioning problem

pvd

Hi all,

I've an idw with some views and I'm trying to put dimensions on it but they go all directions, no matter if I choose "horizontal", "vertical", "aligned" or toggle between planes by pressing my space-bar. I'm quite new on this and actually I don't understand what's happening. I just want these dimensions to be horizontal or vertical on my plan. Is this possible? Hope I don't have to change my model for it...

Thanks in advance.

Hi JD,

When I click on "Format - Active Standard", it says "Default Standard (ISO)", what you mean with drafting standard (i've no idea which one I'm intending to use), which files you want me to zip and where can I find them? (My questions are exponentially increasing...help!)

Thank you for your support

What country are you in? Most in USA use ANSI standard. Do you normally do inch unit drawings or metric. Attach the idw and corresponding ipt files for the drawing that is not dimensioning as expected.

I appreciate your help JD, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to post my plan on the internet. Now you're probably not able to help me properly either right? The thing is, my dimensions appear under a certain angle on my plan but vertical and horizontal are still orthogonal to eachother. Maybe they are linked with the coordinate system of my model when I was sketching it. But if I'm gonna change the coordinate system in my model, I'm affraid my sketches will jump and my model will fail. And sometimes my dimensions just seem to appear in 3D, like you can see them in a perspective way. I'm from Belgium, we work with ISO. Hope this still gives you some ideas to help me out...Thanks a lot anyway.

Is this of an assembly or of a part? Did it ever work as expected or is this a new problem specific to this dataset?

What version of Inventor.

Can't you create a simple example - say a cube and drawing of the cube that exhibits the behavior without posting proprietary information.

Two shots in the dark

1. You have an assembly and someone ungrounded the base part and moved it - your views are not correct. Fix - add Mate Flush constraints between the assembly and logical base part orgin XY, XZ abd YZ planes

2. You have an isometric view - maybe inadvertently through the use of skeletal modeling - and you are getting true or projected dimensions opposite of what you are expecting. Right click on the view and see what is set. (see attached) There is one other thing that sticks in my mind but a can't recall exactly what. Without a dataset I am reluctant to spend any real time trying to discover a solution. In fact, you will see that I almost always request example files. The only way I know how to work.

true.png

Thank you very much JD, I understand the most efficient way to approach a problem is to have specific information. But your second shot in the dark was right, hoera! My dimensions were set on "true" and now I've set it on "projected", I get what I want.

Thanks again and have a good one!

Normally it should be on True. I suspect you have a skewed view. This sometimes happens when using skeletal modeling.

Yes, the view is skewed. Glad it was that simple, as I was already affraid I had to start remodelling my object.