Zoom with mouse wheel.... Help!

Amber D

Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer! :D I'm self-taught with AutoCAD (and learned most of what I know from this site), but I have a small problem.

I'm using AutoCAD 2000, and always zoomed in and out with the mouse wheel. For some reason, out of nowhere, when I use the mouse wheel in CAD, it just scrolls my document up and down instead of zooming in or out.:?

Searching the forum, I found that if I hold CTRL while I use the mouse wheel, I can still zoom in and out, but I couldn't find anything that would tell me how to get things back to the way they were (where it will zoom without me holding CTRL). Please help!

I used to have that issue in Acad 2000 also. Usually, I would copy and paste the drawing into a "fresh" drawing, and this would fix it. It seemed that this happened mostly when I received a drawing from an outside customer. Is this happening with all drawings or just certain ones?

You might also experiment with changing your ZOOMFACTOR.

And Amber, which mouse do you use (today)? Have you changed your mouse?

You might look in your Windows Contol Panel, mouse settings.

I've had similar problems when changing from, i.e.: Microsoft to Logitech mouse.

you know Joe C, this origionally happened to me with an older file done by someone who doesn't work in our office anymore, but I thought about that and tried opening something that I personally made recently, with the same effect. I shall try my luck with ZOOMFACTOR and let you know how it goes.

I haven't changed my mouse Tankman, but you could be on to something. My boss had his 11 year old in the office a week or so ago, who downloaded several interesting things on my computer (viruses, malware, etc), and gave our office "computer master" as he likes to be called, plenty to do. He has spent at least a full 8 hour day with my computer over the last week.

My mouse is an IBM model #MO28UO (but it's the same mouse I've always had)

One other thing to try Amber. Options > Display > then uncheck "Display scroll bars in drawing window".

Of course this will disable your vertical / horizontal scroll bars, but I'd rather have my zoom scrollwheel working right!!

A problem I used to have is this..

Some mouse drivers that run in the system tray conflict with autodesk software.

I had the problem a while back and took me hours to find the solution.

I simply opened up the taskbar (bottom right in windows next to the time) right clicked my mouse software and closed it. After that, autocad worked perfectly. But until I did that, everytime I tried to zoom in it would scroll up and down.

I didn't realize it was such a simple solution.

May not work for you though if it is only happening with a certain drawing.

-ChriS

Thanks ammobake! I looked through my mouse settings and found a new program "mouse suite" (ico.exe). (Thanks again to the 11 year old) After google-ing it, it's apparently not a security risk to your computer BUT i uninstalled it anyway, and poof everything is back to normal!

Thanks everyone for the help! You guys are awesome!