Trouble creating tool palette

jfg

I'm trying to create a tool palette with all our haworth furniture blocks but it just wont happen.

Each piece of furniture is stored in a separate .dwg. Usually, we insert each of those drawings as a block whenever we need them. I'd like to have them all in a palette so they will be easier to use.

I tried dragging the .dwg from the design center to the palette but the cursor turns into a circle with a bar across it.

I also tried copy/pasting from the drawing window and from the design center with no luck.

I tried right-clicking on one of the .dwg and clicking "create tool palette" but I get a message saying the .dwg does not contain any block definitions.

So I went ahead and inserted all the .dwg blocks into one drawing and I tried right-clicking on this .dwg from the design center and clicking "create tool palette". It did create a palette with the same name as the .dwg but it is empty.

I'm all out of ideas... I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I`m using full AutoCAD 2008 (not LT) without any of the vertical products.

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jfg

• JeepMaster

• JohnM

• lpseifert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Open the dwg with all your blocks

Be sure the Tool Palette you want the blocks to reside is current (or create a new palette)

Select the block (left click); while it is highlighted, right-click drag it to the Tool Palette.

Repeat for all blocks

I’m just going to take a guess at what is wrong.

You where on the right track when you put all the blocks in one drawing but you need to make sure all the blocks are really blocks. Double click on a block and check to make sure it is a block.

If not make all the objects blocks save the drawing then open a new drawing then design center and make the palette and it should work.

When you make a write block it dose not make the objects a block it creates a empty dwg with only those objects in it so when you insert it it will come in as a block just like if you insert another dwg into a drawing using the insert command it will be a block.

Instead of using the design center try dragging the .DWG from its save location and dropping it on the tool palette

Select the required drawing from the directory & drag it from its current location. Drag it over an open tool palette and it will be automatically added

JohnM: They are all blocks within one .dwg file. But it will still only create a blank tool palette. The separate .dwg for each furniture piece were WBLOCK'ed from existing drawings. But I inserted them as blocks into the .dwg I'm trying to use to create the palette.

Jammie: I'm still getting the circle with the bar across it.

please post the detailed step by step procedure that you are using and we'll see if you are skiping a step

here is mine:

1. i put all my blocks in one drawing and save it

2. i close the drawing

3. i open a new drawing

4. open desing center and the tool pallette

5. in desing center i navigate to the drawing with the blocks

6. click the + sign next to the drawing

7. selecr the block icon from the list and all blocks are displayed in the right window pain

8. right click in the right pain and select make tool palette from the menu.

My procedure is the same as yours. Only difference is that you are right-clicking on the right pane to make tool palette and I was clicking on the left pane on BLOCKS under the drawing containing all the blocks to make the tool palette... but both give an empty palette.

I've attached my .dwg with all the blocks, maybe you can find something wrong with it that I dont see.

Thanks

HAWORTH.dwg

it worked fine for me using acad 2004

make a blank dwg with a simple block and try it.

if it has the same result them you might have a issue with your acad

and might have to re-install or repair it.

I never used or created a tool palette before, So I took a shot at it with your drawing.I right clicked on the palette and created a new one called Furniture.

I went over to one of the blocks and left clicked on to it continuing to hold the left mouse button and draged it to the new palette without a problem.

I am not sure as to what is exactly happening in your case, But if you have done this proceedure accordingly, Then maybe you should check to see if you have the latest updates in your CAD. There is a possibility you may may have a service pack issue if all else fails.

This is what I did and it works fine and I'm using ADT 2007.

- Open designcenter

- under folder, browse to your haworth.dwg

- click on blocks just under your dwg

- It will load for a second or so, and you should see all your blocks in the right window

- click on the first block on the window, then hold down Shift and select all the blocks in the right window

- After all the blocks are selected, right-click and go down to "Create Tool Palette".

- Now it will ask you to enter a new name "TAB" for the tool palette. Enter HAWORTH and it's done.

- It automatically created a "HAWORTH" tab with all the blocks inside.

Just wondering, do you have an existing toolpalette set up?

I've attached a screenshot.

haworth.jpg

I'm still getting that damn circle with the bar across it. I'll make sure I have the latest service packs and all and I'll try again.

And no, I dont have any palettes setup except the standard ones.

Yes I tried that too but Acad wont let me add to existing palettes either.

Anyways I'm giving repair a shot. I can't reinstall today. Our IT guys are off and they are the only ones who have access to the CD's/serial numbers.

We have networked catalogs and those are locked. But either way, you should be able to create a new palette locally anyway. Can you right-click and create a new palette?

I can add anything to the exisitng or new palette, just not the networked catalog ones.

So the repair process just finished...

It must be something with my profile. If I switch to > I can follow any of the methods above and it'll give me a palette. I can then switch to my regular profile and I can still access the new palette but creating new ones still gives blank palettes.

So the repair process just finished...

It must be something with my profile. If I switch to > I can follow any of the methods above and it'll give me a palette. I can then switch to my regular profile and I can still access the new palette but creating new ones still gives blank palettes.

Time to create a new profile.:lol:

Can you right-click and create a new palette?

I can add anything to the exisitng or new palette, just not the networked catalog ones.

I can create them... just can't add to them while on my regular profile